- Bodie Island Light
caption = Bodie Island Lighthouse
location = convert|4|mi|km|0 north of
Oregon Inlet, Near Nags Head, North Carolina
coordinates = coord|35.8185|N|75.5633|W|region:US_type:landmark|name=Bodie Island Light|display=inline
yearlit = 1872
automated = 1940
electric lamp = 1932
foundation = Timber, Granite, Rubble
construction = Brick, Cast Iron, Stone
shape = Conical
height = convert|156|ft|m|0
marking = White and black bands with black lantern house
lens = First order
Fresnel lens, 1872
range = convert|18|nmi|km|0
characteristic = White 2.5 seconds on, 2.5 seconds off, 2.5 seconds on, and 22.5 seconds eclipse with 2 cycles each minute
admiralty = J2386
ARLHS = USA-067
USCG = 2-0590The current Bodie Island Lighthouse is the third that has stood in this vicinity of
Bodie Islandon the Outer Banksin North Carolinaand was built in 1872. It stands 156 feet tall and is located on the Roanoke Soundside of the first island that is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The lighthouseis just south of Nag's Head, a few miles before Oregon Inlet. It is currently not climbable by the public, but plans are in place to make it safe for climbing.
The preceding Bodie Island lighthouses actually stood south of
Oregon Inleton Pea Islandin an area now under water. The first was built in 1847 and then abandoned in 1859 due to a poor foundation.The second, built in 1859, was destroyed in 1861 by retreating Confederate troops who feared it would be used as a Union observation post during the Civil War. The third and current lighthouse, with its original first order Fresnel lens, was completed in 1872. In 1932, the light was upgraded to an electric lamp by using oil-fueled electrical generators. It remained manned until 1940, when lighthouse was fully automated. In 1953, the generators were disconnected and power was supplied from the commercial electric grid.
While some people (including North Carolinians not from the
Outer Banks) pronounce the name with a long "o" sound, it is traditionally pronounced as "body." This is derived from the original name of the area, which was "Bodies Island", after the Body family from whom the land was purchased. Folklore would have you believe it is due to the number of dead sailors washed ashore from this portion of the Atlantic Ocean, which is known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic. Local gift shops sell maps of the shipwrecks on the ocean floor. An impressive array of ships have been sunk due to storms, shoals, and German U-boatsin World War II.
This lighthouse appears in the background of the 1963-1964
Federal Duck Stamp. [1963.]
width = 85%
border = 4px
align = center
bgcolor = #cce5ff
title = Historic Light Station Information - NORTH CAROLINA
halign = left
quote = BODIE ISLAND LIGHT:
* 1847 - The contractor on the first project was Mr. Francis Gibbons, of Baltimore, who would later become a prominent lighthouse builder on the West Coast. Cost was $5,000 but problems with location and design of the tower caused a ten year delay in construction. The tower was highly unstable and soon after it was completed, it began to lean toward the sea.
* 1859 - The Bodie Island Lighthouse had deteriorated and the Lighthouse Board secured a $25,000 appropriation from Congress to erect a new tower. This new tower was 80 ft (24 m). and its lantern was a third-order Fresnel lens.
* 1861 - In the fall of 1861, Confederate troops stacked explosives inside the tower and blew it apart.
* 1871 - A third lighthouse was completed in 1871 partially with material left over from construction of a new tower at Cape Hatteras. The tower was 156 ft (48 m). with a first order Fresnel lens that made its light visible for 18 nautical miles (33 km). The Bodie tower is painted with white and black horizontal bands.
salign = right
source = United States Coast Guard [Historic.]
* [http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/federal/stamps/1963fedstamp.htm 1963-1964 Federal Duck Stamp by Edward J. Bierly] . U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Retrieved 2008-08-15.
* [http://www.uscg.mil/history/weblighthouses/LHNC.asp Historic Light Station Information and Photography - NORTH CAROLINA] . U.S. Coast Guard. Retrieved 2008-08-16.
* [http://www.nps.gov/caha/bodielh.htm The Bodie Island Lighthouse, National Park Service]
* [http://www.uscg.mil/history/weblighthouses/LHNC.asp USCG site]
* [http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=357 LighthouseFriends.com]
* [http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/federal/stamps/1963fedstamp.htm Bodie Island Light on Federal Duck Stamp]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bodie Island — (traditionally pronounced body but bo dee by many non residents) is a long, narrow barrier peninsula that forms the northernmost portion of the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The land that is most commonly referred to as Bodie Island was at one… … Wikipedia
Oak Island Light — Location Oak Island, Cape Fear River, North Carolina Year first constructed 1958 Year first lit 1958 Construction Portland concrete Tower shape Round … Wikipedia
Sand Island Light — Infobox Lighthouse caption = Sand Island lighthouse 1962 location = Sand Island, Alabama coordinates = coord|30.1966|N|88.0534|W yearbuilt = 1838 yearlit = 1873 automated = 1921 yeardeactivated = 1933 foundation = Stone construction = Brownstone… … Wikipedia
Bodie, California — Bodie Ghost town … Wikipedia
Currituck Beach Light — Currituck Beach Lighthouse Location Corolla, North Carolina Coordinates … Wikipedia
Ocracoke Light — Location Ocracoke Island, Hyde County, North Carolina Year first constructed 1798 Year first lit 1823 (current tower) Automated 1955 Foundation … Wikipedia
Hatteras Island — as seen in a satellite photo. Hatteras Island (historically, Croatoan Island) is a barrier island located off the North Carolina coast. Dividing the Atlantic Ocean and the Pamlico Sound, it runs parallel to the coast, forming a bend at Cape… … Wikipedia
Diamond Shoal Light — Undated photograph of Diamond Shoal Light (USCG) Coordinates … Wikipedia
Cape Hatteras Light — Infobox Lighthouse caption = Cape Hatteras Lighthouse location = North of Cape Hatteras Point, Outer Banks, Hatteras Island, North Carolina coordinates = coor dms|35|15|02|N|75|31|43.7|W|region:US type:landmark yearbuilt = 1803 (original tower)… … Wikipedia
Angel Island (California) — Angel Island Angel Island Geography Location San Francisco Bay Coordinates … Wikipedia