- Renato M. E. Sabbatini
Renato Marcos Endrizzi Sabbatini (born
20 February 1947) is a Brazilian biomedical and computer scientist, educator, publisher, science writer, entrepreneurand administrator, born in Campinas, Brazil. He holds a doctoral degree in physiologyfrom the University of São Paulo.
His main contributions as a researcher and publisher concern the following areas [ [http://lattes.cnpq.br/0332149722877197 Certified curriculum vitae, National Council of Scientific and Technological Development, Brazil] ] :
neuroethology; medical informatics; health sciences; internetand web applications in medicine, biology and health; artificial intelligence; artificial neural networks; distance educationand e-learning; telemedicine; biological and health impacts of non-ionizing radiationand .
He is currently the president of the Edumed Institute, a
non-profit R&Dinstitution and director of Edulogica Educação & Tecnologia, a consultant and commercial enterprise specializing in distance education.
Research and education
Sabbatini began his scientific career in
neurophysiologyin 1966, while he was a medical studentat the Medical School of the University of São Paulo at Ribeirão Preto[ [http://rfi.fmrp.usp.br/ History of the Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto] ] . He began to work in basic biomedical researchunder the supervision of Prof. Miguel Rolando Covian, an Argentineneurophysiologist, who encouraged him to found, after he graduated in 1968, the first research laboratory of neuroethologyin Latin America[ [http://rfi.fmrp.usp.br/~lnne/ Site of the Neuroethology Lab, Dept. Physiology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto] ] , at the Department of Physiology. Also there, he started in 1970 one of the first Brazilian and Latin American groups of research, development and educationon the computer applications in biomedicine. Sabbatini got a doctoratein behavioral neurosciencein 1977 and immediately thereafter went to spend two and a half years doing postdoctoral work in the same field at the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry's Primate Behavior Department (in Munich, Germany), under Manfred Maurus.
After returning to Brazil, Sabbatini accepted an invitation by Dean Prof.
José Aristodemo Pinotti, to move to the State University of Campinasin 1983, Sabbatini founded the Center for Biomedical Informatics, one of the first interdisciplinarygroup of its kind in Brazil [ [http://www.unicamp.br/siarq/pesquisa/guia/centro_nucleo_abertos_cont4.html Biomedical Informatics Center, Central UNICAMP Archives] ] , and a collaborating professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineeringof the Faculty of Electrical Engineeringand in the Department of Physiology of the Institute of Biology. In 1997, he created and was appointed chairmanof the newly created area of medical informaticsand biostatisticsin the Medical School [ [http://www.fcm.unicamp.br/40anos/1991_2000.html Timeline of 40 Years of UNICAMP, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas] ] . In these capacities, until his retirement from active duty with the University after 35 years of dedication to teaching and research, Sabbatini advised many students in their research projects and dissertations. He also wrote a large number of papers and books in many fields, and created a series of new graduate courses and disciplines in biomedical computing, artificial intelligence, distance education, electronic publishing, Internet applications and telemedicine.
Starting in 1993, with the advent of the
WWWin Brazil, Sabbatini became a leader in the research of new technologies and in the development of a large number of on-line courses in health sciences, using videoconferencing, satellite-based teleconferencing and the internet [ [http://www.unicamp.br/unicamp/unicamp_hoje/ju/julho2002/unihoje_ju180pag02.html Report on Distance Education COnference at UNICAMP] ] . He has worked intensively in building teaching capacity in this field in Brazil and was a member of the first Distance Education Working Group of the State University of Campinas [ [http://www.rau-tu.unicamp.br/nou-rau/ead/document/?view=32 Report of the Distance Education Working Group, State University of Campinas] ] . He also founded the Edumed Institute for Education in Medicine and Health, working until this day as CEO and Chairman of the Board, and director of its International Center for Information Technologies in Health. The Edumed Institute has organized a national consortiumcomprising dozens of universities and medical associations with the aim of developing a national networkof distance education.
Sabbatini's initiatives in technological
innovationin Brazil has been recognized several times, including, in August 2007, by Info ExameMagazine's shortlist on the "50 Champions of Innovation" of 2007 [ [http://info.abril.com.br/survey/ "50 Champions of Innovation" of 2007] ]
Sabbatini was one of the specialists in Brasil to promote the birth of medical informatics as a new science, being involved in the creation of the
Brazilian Society for Health Informatics(where he served as first vice-president, 1986-1987 and second president, 1987-1988 [ [http://www.sbis.org.br/ History of the Brazilian Society of Health Informatics] ] ), the Brazilian Journal of Health Informatics, and the First Brazilian Congress on Health Informatics, and the series of International Conferences on Telemedicine and Distance Education (TELMED). Among other things, he created and edited three other periodicals in medical informatics, [http://www.informaticamedica.org.br/informed Informedica] , [http://www.informaticamedica.org.br/intermedic Intermedic] and [http://www.informaticamedica.org.br/informaticamedica Informatica Médica] magazines, served as Medical Informatics Director to the Brazilian Medical Associationand as a national and international consultant to the World Health Organization, Pan American Health Organization[ [http://www.informaticamedica.org.br/informaticamedica/n0103/novidades.htm Telemedicine and Telehealth Will Be Part of the WHO Strategy for Health for All 2000. "Medical Informatics Magazine" News, 1(3), May 1998] ] , Inter-American Development Bank[ [http://www.informaticamedica.org.br/informaticamedica/n0101/novidades.htm#bid BID Places Health on the Super Information Highways. "Medical Informatics Magazine" News, 1(1), Jan 1998] ] , São Paulo State Research Foundation, National Research Council and others.
Together with family members, Sabbatini founded a number of
high-techcompanies in Germanyand Brazil, working as a part-time consultantfor them while he was a university-based researcher, and as CEOand chairman of the board for two of them after his retirement. These companies were Vortex GMBH (one of the first European softwareproducer for the TRS-80microcomputer), Dataquest Ltd. (publishing and education in IT), WebpraxisInternational Ltd. (consultancy and development projects for the Web) and EduLogicaTechnology and Education Ltd. (distance education and educational technology). He also helped to conceive, plan and establish other companies, such as ProfSat.
Popularization of science
Sabbatini has a long history of writing about science to laypersons, having started with articles and columns in major Brazilian
magazines and newspapers, such as " Folha de São Paulo" and " O Estado de São Paulo". From 1991 to 2001, he wrote a series of weekly science and informatics columns in the main newspaper of Campinas, " Correio Popular". For this effort, he won the prestigious 1992 award of the Brazilian National Research Council, as the Best Science Popularizer ( Prêmio José Reis de Divulgação Científica) [ [http://memoria.cnpq.br/sobrecnpq/premios/josereis/premiados.htm Official List of Awardees, José Reis Award, CNPq] ] . He has taught and lectured extensively on science journalism (graduate program at UNICAMP [ [http://www.labjor.unicamp.br/?m=docentes99 LABJOR/UNICAMP: Docents of the 1999 Class in Scientific Journalism] ] ) and is active in this professional field.
Starting 1996, Sabbatini created with his colleagues in the State University of Campinas a number of
websites devoted to promote the awareness of general public to health-related information, such as, among others: the [http://www.hospvirt.org.br Brazilian Virtual Hospital] (the third of its kind in the world), the [http://www.cev.org.br Virtual Sports Center] [ [http://www.cev.org.br/br/sobre/qq.asp List of collaborators, Virtual Sports Center] ] , the Brazilian Virtual Veterinary Hospital, the Virtual Odontology Center, the Visible Human Image Database in South America [ [http://www.informaticamedica.org.br/informaticamedica/n0202/novidades.htm#vhd NIB Participates in the Visible Human Database Project. "Medical Informatics Magazine" News, 2(3), March 1999] ] , the [http://www.epub.org.br/svol Health & Life On-line Magazine] , the [http://www.cerebromente.org.br Brain & Mind On-Line Magazine] , the [http://www.nutriweb.org.br NutriWeb On-Line Magazine] , several bulletins and newsletter distributed by email lists. He created and acted as technical director to the first Brazilian project of scientific electronic publishing, the [http://www.epub.org.br e*pub Group] , where several pioneering, exclusively on-line publications were created under his technical direction, such as the [http://www.epub.org.br/OJPRS/welcome.htm On-Line Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery] and the [http://www.epub.org.br/ojdom On-Line Journal of Dentistry and Oral Medicine] . Sabbatini is a member of the editorial board of Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering[ [http://www.begellhouse.com/ii/4b27cbfc562e21b8.pdf Editorial Board of Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering] ]
History of neuroscience
Another field where Sabbatini has been active is the history of neuroscience. He organized for the first time in Brazil a systematic course on the subject [ [http://www.edumed.org.br/cursos/history.html On-Line Course on the History of Neuroscience] ] and is associate editor of the section on the history of neuroscience in the "Brain & Mind" magazine [ [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/staff_i.htm Brain & Mind Magazine Staff] ] , having published nine articles on different aspects of international history [ [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/history_i.htm Section of History of Neuroscience, Brain & Mind Magazine] ] . A book, the first in Brazil, is being published in the fourth quarter of 2007.
One of the founders of the organized
skepticism/ rationalismmovement in Brazil, Sabbatini founded in 2001 the Brazilian Society of Skeptics and Rationalists, which has currently more than 300 members [ [http://www.ceticos.org/oquee.htm History of the Brazilian Society of Skeptics and Rationalists] ] . The Society discusses actively and promotes ethical responsibility in the mass media. It has a [http://www.ceticos.org/ website] , which features on-line articles on pseudoscience, antiscienceand skepticism by Sabbatini and others, and has a web-based [http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/sbcr discussion group] .
Affiliations to learned societies
Brazilian Society of Physiology, member and Secretary General (1982-1985) [ [http://www.sbfis.org.br/historia.asp List of former directors, Brazilian Society of Physiology] ]
Brazilian Society for Health Informatics, founding member, vice-president (1986-1988), president (1988-1990) and secretary (1993-1995)
Brazilian Medical Association, director of informatics
Brazilian Association of Distance Education, member and director of Campinas Chapter
Brazilian Society for the Advancement of Science
Brazilian Society of Biological Psychiatry, director of informatics
American Medical Informatics Association
American Telemedicine Association
* Sabbatini, R.M.E.: [http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/abs_free.jsp%3FarNumber%3D301503 A multilayered neural network for processing 2D tomographic images in neurosurgery] . "Proceed. Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference", IEEE, 1992
* Ortiz J., Ghefter C.G., Silva C.E., Sabbatini R.M.E.: One-year mortality prognosis in heart failure: a neural network approach based on echocardiographic data. "J Am Coll Cardiol." 1995 Dec;26(7):1586-93. PMID 7594090
* Sabbatini, R.M.E.; Cardoso, S.H.: [http://renato.sabbatini.com/papers/PaperBIREME.html The Virtual Hospital, Electronic Publications and the Visible Human: New Paradigms for Health Education] . "Proceed. Regional Conference on Health Information Systems", p. 128-137, São Paulo, BIREME, 1996. (In Portuguese)
* Sabbatini, R.M.E.: Using neural networks for processing biologic signals. "MD Comput." 1996 Mar-Apr;13(2):165-72. PMID 8684280
* Da Costa, C.G.A. & Sabbatini, R.M.E.: [http://adams.mgh.harvard.edu/PDF_Repository/D010001441.pdf A Survey of Software Engineering Practices in the Development of Electronic Patient Record Systems] . "Proceed. AMIA Annu. Meet." (In PDF)
* Cardoso, S.H.; Sabbatini, R.M.E.: [http://www.amia.org/pubs/symposia/D004468.PDF "Brain & Mind" Magazine: An On-Line Multimedia Resource for Dissemination and Evaluation of Knowledge in Neuroscience] . "Proceed. AMIA Annu. Meet." (In PDF)
* Carvalho, P.M.; Sabbatini, R.M.E. [http://scholar.google.com/url?sa=U&q=http://adams.mgh.harvard.edu/PDF_Repository/D010001500.pdf Integrating the Teaching of Informatics to Medical Students in a Problem-Based Learning Undergraduate Course] . "Proceed. AMIA Annu. Meet." (In PDF)
* Botelho, M.L.; Araújo, L.; Sabbatini, R.M.E.: [http://adams.mgh.harvard.edu/PDF_Repository/D004469.PDF A Neural-Network Based System on the World Wide Web for Prognosis and Indication of Surgery in Head and Brain Trauma] . "Proceed. AMIA Annu. Meet.", 1997 (In PDF)
* Quaresma, R.P.; Sabbatini, R.M.E.; Cardoso, S.H.; Ortale, J.R.: [http://adams.mgh.harvard.edu/PDF_Repository/D005202.PDF Adding Java and CGI Functionality to an On-Line Atlas of Anatomy for Medical Education] . "Proceed. AMIA Annu. Meet.", 1997 (In PDF)
* Palombo, C.R. Maccari-Filho, M.; Sabbatini, R.M.E. and Halstead, C.L.: [http://www.amia.org/pubs/symposia/D005028.PDF The Virtual Dental Center: Resource for Research and Education on the WWW] . "Proceed. AMIA Annu. Meet.", 1997 (In PDF)
* Sabbatini, R.M.E.; Cardoso, S.H.: [http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search/expand?pub=infobike://maney/isr/2002/00000027/00000004/art00009&unc= Interdisciplinarity and the Neurosciences] . "Interdisciplinary Science Review", 27(4) Dec 2002, pp. 303-311.
* Sabbatini, R.M.E.; Cardoso, S.H.: [http://adams.mgh.harvard.edu/PDF_Repository/D010001452.pdf Internet-2 Based Tele/Videoconferencing for Distance Medical Education: The EduMed. Net Project] . AMIA Annual Meeting (in PDF).
* Cardoso, S.H.; Sabbatini, R.M.E.: [http://www.amia.org/pubs/symposia/D004772.PDF On-line Resources for a WWW-based Continued Education Curriculum on Behavioral Neurobiology] . AMIA Annual Meeting (in PDF).
* Sabbatini, R.M.E.: The Brazilian Virtual Hospital. A Case in e-Health. In: Knight, P. et al.: "e-Democracy in Brazil". Rio de Janeiro: Pearson Educational, 2003. (In Portuguese).
* Sabbatini, R.M.E. & Cardoso, S.H.: [http://www.sabbatini.com/renato/papers/Abstr0302.htm A Distance Interactive Course on the History of Neuroscience] . "Abstr. Annu. Meet. Soc. Neurosci." (SFN 2003), New Orleans, LA, USA, Nov. 2003.
* Lopes da Silva, J.V.; Santa Bárbara, A.; Cardoso, S.H.; Sabbatini, R.M.E. and Coimbra, N.C.: [http://www.sabbatini.com/renato/papers/Abstr0304.htm Construction of 3D Anatomical Models in Polymer Using Selective Laser Sintering - A New Method for Teaching Human Anatomy] , "Proc. VIII International Conference on Nursing Informatics". Rio de Janeiro, June 2003.
* Sabbatini, R.M.E. Internet Health Applications in Brazil. In: Sosa-Iudicissa, M. et al. (Eds). "Internet, Telematics and Health". IOP Press, 1997. [http://books.google.com/books?id=4BSBUSEEtwAC&pg=PA401&ots=gwq_ZJ46im&dq=%22Renato+Sabbatini%22+OR+%22Renato+ME+Sabbatini%22&hl=pt-BR&sig=TICs9Q903RiS6oh_XRy1ZQljurc Excerpt at Google Books]
* Sabbatini, R.M.E. - Applications of connectionist systems in Biomedicine. In: Lun, K.C.; Degoulet, P. & Piemme, T. (Eds.) - "Proceed. 7th World Congress on Medical Informatics (MEDINFO 92)". p. 418-425, 1992.
* Sabbatini RM. A head-mounted stereotaxic platform with movable electrodes for intracerebral exploration. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1982 Apr;15(1):65-71. PMID 6758889
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n01/pet/pet.htm The PET Scan: A New Window Into the Brain] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", March/May 1997.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n01/frenolog/frenologia.htm Phrenology: The History of Brain Localization] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", March/May 1997.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n02/historia/psicocirg_i.htm The History of Psychosurgery] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", June/August 1997.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n02/tecnologia/radiocirurg_i.htm Radiosurgery] . "Brain & Mind Magazine', June/August 1997.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n03/tecnologia/eeg.htm Mapping the Brain] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", September/November 1997.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n04/historia/shock_i.htm The History of Shock Therapy in Psychiatry] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", December 1997/February 1998.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n06/historia/bioelectr.htm The Discovery of Bioelectricity] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", June/August 1998.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n07/doencas/index.html The Psychopath's Brain] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", September/November 1998.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n09/historia/turtles_i.htm Imitation of Life: The History of the First Robots] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", June/August 1999.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n09/mente/placebo1_i.htm Placebo Effect: The Power of the Sugar Pill] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", June/August 1999.
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n14/experimento/lorenz/index-lorenz.html Learning Who is Your Mother. The Behavior of Imprinting] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", 14: Nov.2001-March 2002
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n12/mente/evolution/evolution_i.html The Evolution of Human Intelligence] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", 12 (February-May 2001) and 13 (August-November 2001)
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n16/mente/crying-brain.html The Animal that Weeps] . "Cerebrum Magazine", 2003
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n17/history/neurons1_p.htm Neurons and Synapses. The History of its Discovery] . "Brain & Mind Magazine", 17: March 2003
Instituto Edumed para Educação em Medicina e Saúde
Center for Biomedical Informatics
Brazilian Society for Health Informatics
Brazilian Journal of Health Informatics
Brazilian Society of Skeptics and Rationalists
Edulogica Educação & Tecnologia
* [http://www.sabbatini.com/renato Personal website] (In English)
* [http://www.sabbatini.com/renato/blog Science, Technology and Society] . Blog (In Portuguese)
* [http://lattes.cnpq.br/0332149722877197 Curriculum Vitae] . Lattes Platform, National Research Council (In Portuguese)
* [http://www.informaticamedica.org.br Medical Informatics] magazines in Brazil.
* [http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/telemednewsletter TeleMed Newsletter]
* [http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/edumednewsletter EduMed Newsletter]
* [http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/tvdnews TVDNews Newsletter]
* [http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/sbcr SBCR Newsletter]
* [http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/brainandmind/ Brain & Mind Newsletter]
* [http://rfi.fmrp.usp.br/~lnne/ Neuroethology Lab] . Dept. Physiology, Medical School of Ribeirão Preto
* [http://www.hospvirt.org.br Brazilian Virtual Hospital]
* [http://www.cev.org.br Virtual Sports Center]
* [http://www.cerebromente.org.br Brain & Mind On-Line Magazine]
* [http://www.nutriweb.org.br NutriWeb On-Line Magazine]
* [http://www.epub.org.br e*pub Group]
* [http://www.edumed.net The Edumed Institute]
* [http://www.edulogica.com.br Edulogica Education & Technology]
* [http://www.webpraxis.com.br Webpraxis International]
* [http://www.profsat.com.br ProfSat Technology & Education]
Also: [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Search&term=%22Sabbatini+RM%22%5BAuthor%5D Search Pubmed] , [http://scholar.google.com.br/scholar?q=autor:%22RM+Sabbatini%22+OR+autor:%22RME+Sabbatini%22&hl=pt-BR&lr=&start=60&sa=N Google Scholar] or [http://www.google.com/search?&lr=lang_en&q=%22Renato+Sabbatini%22+OR+%22Renato+M.E.+Sabbatini%22+OR+%22Sabbatini+RME%22&btnG=Search Search Google] for references to Dr. Renato M.E. Sabbatini.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sabbatini (disambiguation) — Sabbatini is an Italian family name.Sabbatini or Sabatini may refer to:* Andrea Sabbatini (1487 1530), Italian painter of the Renaissance, one of the best pupils of Raphael * Lorenzo Sabbatini (1530 1577), Italian renaissance painter * Nicola… … Wikipedia
Endrizzi — is an Italian family surname.The Endrizzi surname occurs mostly in Northern Italy, in the Trentino Alto Adige/Südtirol alpine region. Today, the many branches of the Endrizzi family can be found in Bolzano, Trento, Sarnonico, Cavedago, Cles,… … Wikipedia
List of Italo-Brazilians — The list of Italo Brazilians are Brazilian citizens who are ethnically Italian, or who have some Italian descent. They are best described as Brazil s equivalent of the USA s Italian Americans, in that they are highly integrated, and usually do… … Wikipedia
Renatus — is a first name of Latin origin which means born again (natus = born). In countries of Italian, Portuguese and Spanish languages it exists in a masculine and feminine form i.e., Renato and Renata. In the French language they have been translated… … Wikipedia
Charles Darwin's illness — For much of his adult life Charles Darwin s illness repeatedly affected him with an uncommon combination of symptoms, leaving him severely debilitated for long periods of time, incapable of normal life and intellectual production, staying in bed… … Wikipedia
An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural — Infobox Book name = An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural author = James Randi and foreword by Arthur C. Clarke cover artist = publisher = St. Martin s Press release date = 1995 media type =… … Wikipedia
Cassio Raposo do Amaral — Professor Cassio Menezes Raposo do Amaral, Ph.D. (September 9, 1943, São Paulo, Brazil – September 1, 2005, Campinas, Brazil) was an internationally recognized physician and plastic and reconstructive surgeon. Contents 1 Early life and education… … Wikipedia
Núcleo de Informática Biomédica — The Núcleo de Informática Biomédica (in English, Center for Biomedical Informatics) of the State University of Campinas (NIB), in Campinas, Brazil, was an interdisciplinary center for research, development and education in medical informatics,… … Wikipedia
Lars Leksell — Infobox Medical Person name =Lars Leksell box width = image width = caption = birth date =November 23 1907 birth place =flagicon|Sweden Fassberg, Sweden death date =1986 (aged 78) death place =Switzerland profession =Surgeon, Physician specialism … Wikipedia
Sociedade Brasileira de Céticos e Racionalistas — is the Brazilian society of skeptics and rationalists. It was founded in 2001 by Dr. Renato M.E. Sabbatini, a university professor, researcher and science writer. It currently has more than 300 members. The Society discusses actively and promotes … Wikipedia