Super-resolution (SR) are techniques that in some way enhance the resolution of an
imagingsystem. There are different views as to what is considered an SR-technique: some consider only techniques that break the diffraction-limit of systems, while others also consider techniques that merely break the limit of the digital imaging sensor as SR.
There are both single-frame and multiple-frame variants of SR, where multiple-frame are the most useful. Algorithms can also be divided by their domain: frequency or space domain. By fusing together several low-resolution (LR) one enhanced-resolution image is formed.
The necessity of aliasing
In the most common SR
algorithms, the information that was gained in the SR- imagewas embedded in the LR images in the form of aliasing. This requires that the capturing sensorin the system is weak enough so that aliasing is actually happening. A diffraction-limited system contains no aliasing, for example, or a system where the total system Modulation Transfer Functionis filtering out high-frequencycontent.
Breaking the diffraction limit
There are also SR techniques that extrapolate the image in the frequency domain, by assuming that the object on the image is an
analytic function, and that we can exactly know the function values in some interval. This method is severely limited by the noise that is ever-present in digital imaging systems, but it can work for radar, astronomyor microscopy.
*G.T. Clement, J. Huttunen, and K. Hynynen, "Superresolution ultrasound imaging using back-projected reconstruction" Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Volume 118, Issue 6, pp. 3953-3960, 2005.
*V. Cheung, B. J. Frey, and N. Jojic. "Video epitomes". In Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2005.
*M. Bertero and P. Boccacci. "Super-resolution in computational imaging". Micron, 34:265–273, October 2003.
*S. Borman and R. Stevenson. "Super-resolution from image sequences — a review". Technical report, University of Notre Dame, 1998.
*S. C. Park, M. K. Park, and M. G. Kang., "Super-resolution image reconstruction: a technical overview", IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 20(3):21–36, May 2003.
*S. Farsiu, D. Robinson, M. Elad, and P. Milanfar. "Advances and Challenges in Super-Resolution", International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, Volume 14, no 2, pp. 47-57, August 2004
* M. Elad and Y. Hel-Or, "Fast Super-Resolution Reconstruction Algorithm for Pure Translational Motion and Common Space-Invariant Blur ", IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol 10, No 8, pp. 1187–1193, August 2001.
* M. Irani and S. Peleg, "Super Resolution From Image Sequences" ICPR, 2:115--120, June 1990
* F. Sroubek, G. Cristobal, and J. Flusser, "A Unified Approach to Superresolution and Multichannel Blind Deconvolution", IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 16, pp. 2322-2332, 2007
* [http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~milanfar/SR-Software.htm MDSP RESOLUTION ENHANCEMENT SOFTWARE] — An implementation of several algorithms on Color and B&W data sets.
* [http://photoacute.com/ PhotoAcute] — A SR Software implementing superresolution algorithm based on correlating several digital images and optical system-dependent interpolation for Windows, Mac and Linux (under WINE).
* [http://www.download.com/QE-SuperResolution/3000-2169_4-10392417.html?tag=lst-1 QE SuperResolution 0.1.0.550] —
Freewareimplementation (only for Windows).
* [http://www.ece.lsu.edu/ipl/Demos.html SR GUI in Matlab] — Super-resolution software that includes both geometric and photometric registration (only for Windows).
* [http://www.psi.toronto.edu/~vincent/videoepitome.html Video super-resolution using video epitomes] .
* [http://cognitech.com/ Cognitech Video Investigator] — for law enforcement
* [http://www.salientstills.com/products/index.html Salient Stills VideoFOCUS]
* [http://www.letitwave.com/index.php?rubrique=3%20PRODUCTS&page=video_upconversion.htm Let It Wave] —
NTSC/ PALto HDTVupconverter
* [http://www.motiondsp.com/ MotionDSP] — MotionDSP’s software re-constructs a high-resolution video from low-resolution video, enabling mobile phones, webcams, and security cameras to deliver higher-quality video, and enable a viewing experience that is far more satisfying.
* [http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~milanfar/SR-Software.htm MDSP] — a MATLAB package for super resolution reconstruction from video.
* [http://www.thedeemon.com/articles/what_is_super_resolution.html What is super-resolution?] – an article with step-by-step example of 4x video upsizing using super resolution approach.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Super Audio CD — Media type Optical disc Encoding Digital (DSD) Capacity up to 7.95 GiB/GB … Wikipedia
Super Audio CD — Type de média Disque optique Capacité jusqu à 7,5 Go Mécanisme de lecture … Wikipédia en Français
Super Hi-Vision — Super Hi Vision, also known as Ultra High Definition Video, UHDV, Ultra High Definition Television, UHDTV and UHD is an experimental digital video format, currently proposed by NHK of Japan, the BBC, and RAI. Super Hi Vision s main specifications … Wikipedia
Super Video Graphics Array — or Ultra Video Graphics Array [http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/dictionary/detail.asp?guid= searchtype= DicID=19364 RefType=Encyclopedia] , almost always abbreviated to Super VGA, Ultra VGA or just SVGA or UVGA is a broad term that covers… … Wikipedia
Super CCD — is a proprietary charge coupled device that has been developed by Fujifilm since 1999. [cite web | url=http://www.dpreview.com/news/9910/99102003superccd.asp | title=New honeycomb Super CCD from FujiFilm | date=October 20 1999 |… … Wikipedia
Super NES — Super Nintendo Super Nintendo Super Famicom … Wikipédia en Français
Super Nes — Super Nintendo Super Nintendo Super Famicom … Wikipédia en Français
Super Nintendo Entertainment System — Super Nintendo Super Nintendo Super Famicom … Wikipédia en Français
Super Bowl XLV — 1 2 3 4 Gesamt Pittsburgh Steelers 0 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix — Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Éditeur Capcom Développeur … Wikipédia en Français