- Baxterwood Priory
Baxterwood Priory is a
monastery, originally founded at Haswell, Durham, Englandby Henry Pudsey, a son of Bishop Pudsey, in the latter part of the 12th century. Two vills, Wingate and Haswell, were conferred, probably on the canons of Gisburn.
A better situation was found at
Baxterwood, possibly in 1196. It was known as the "New Place upon the Browney" and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Stephen was the Superintendent of the newly founded Augustinian Priorythere. It was later appropriated by the nearby Benedictinemonks of Durham Cathedraland became a Benedictine Priory, its lands and vills being conferred on Finchale Priory. It was very close to the site of the Battle of Neville's Crosson 17 October 1346and on the Battle site map along with Arbour House some way to the north.
* [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=39881 British History Online]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of abbeys and priories in England — Contents 1 Overview 1.1 Article layout 2 Abbreviations and key … Wikipedia