- San Nicola da Tolentino agli Orti Sallustiani
:"Not be confused with the well-known church of
San Nicolò da Tolentinoin Venice, the Basilica de San Nicola in the town of Tolentinoin the province of Macerata, or the decorated baroque Oratorio di San Nicola da Tolentino (Oratory of San Nicola da Tolentino") in Vicenza."San Nicola da Tolentino agli Orti Sallustiani (Italian - Saint Nicholas of Tolentino in the Gardens of Sallust) is a church in Rome. It is one of the two national churches of Armenia. The church was built for the Discalced Augustinians in 1599, and originally dedicated to the 13th century Augustinian monk, St. Nicholas of Tolentino(also called "San Niccolò" or "Nicolò da Tolentino").
The interior was rebuilt
1614– 1620by Carlo Butiand Martino Longhi, supported by patronage by the Pamphiljfamily. The Milanese architect Francesco Buziowas also involved in the redesign. Starting in 1654, it was rebuilt by Giovanni Maria Baratta, one of the main pupils of Alessandro Algardi. In 1833, The church was given to the Pontifical Armenian Collegeby pope Leo XIII. The Armenian Catholic Churchis in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.
The main altarpiece of "San Giovanni Battista" is by
Baciccio. The sculpture of the "Madonna with Child offering the Miraculous Bread to St Nicholas, St Augustine and St Monica" over the main altar was completed by Domenico Guidiwith Angels by Baratta, with surrounding work of stucco by Ercole Ferrata. The high altar was based on a design by Algardi.
The first chapel on the right has a depiction of "A Miracle of St Nicholas of Bari" by
Filippo Laurenzi, made in 1710. The "Annunciation" is by Pughelli, with lateral panels by Giovanni Ventura Borghesi.
In the third chapel on the on the right side is the sepulchral monument of Cardinal
Federico Lante delle Rovere, with paintings by Pietro Paolo Baldini.
The third chapel on the left was designed in 1668 by
Pietro da Cortonawho began the ceiling fresco work, although after his death, it was finished by Ciro Ferri. The sculptural relieve at the altar of the "Apparition of the Blessed Virgin to Blessed Anthony Botta" was completed by Cosimo Fancelli, and statues of "St Joseph" by Ercole Ferrataand "St John the Baptist" by Antonio Raggi. The second chapel on the left, known as the Cappella Buratti, was designed by Giovan Battista Mola.
domeis octogonal, with eight windows. It is decorated with four female figures symbolizing the four fundamental virtues of the Augustinian Order: Chastity, Humility, Poverty and Obedience. They were made by Pietro Paolo Ubaldiniin 1643. There is also a frescodepicting "The Glory of St Nicholas of Tolentino" by Giovanni Coliand Filippo Gherardi. The Sant' Agnese painting in the crossing is a copy of Guercino.
*Churches of Rome Wikia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.