- Sint Maarten
:"For the island of St. Martin on the whole, see
Saint Martin, for the French side, see Saint Martin (France)and for other uses, see Saint Martin (disambiguation)."Infobox_Country
native_name = "Eilandgebied St. Maarten"
conventional_long_name = Island area of Sint Maarten
common_name = Sint Maarten
national_motto = "Semper pro grediens" (
O Sweet Saint Martin's Land"
official_languages = Dutch, English, Papiamento
latNS=N |latd=18 |latm=01 |longEW=W |longd=63 |longm=03
largest_city = Philipsburg
government_type = "See
Politics of the Netherlands Antilles"
leader_title1 = Administrator
area_magnitude =1 E7
percent_water = Negligible
GDP_PPP =$ 400 million
GDP_PPP_per_capita =$ 11,400 (2003 est.)
sovereignty_note = part of the
Netherlands Antilles, separate country within the Kingdom of the Netherlandsas from December 15 2008
HDI_rank = n/a
HDI_year = 2003
Netherlands Antillean guilder
The island area of Sint Maarten (Dutch: "Eilandgebied Sint Maarten") is one of five island areas ("Eilandgebieden") of the
Netherlands Antilles, encompassing the southern half of the island of Saint Martin/Sint Maarten. At the 2001 Netherlands Antilles census, the population of the "Eilandgebied" was 30,594, for a population density of 900 inhabitants per km².
"Sint Maarten" borders the French
overseas collectivityof "Saint-Martin", which occupies the northern half of the island.
* Philipsburg with 1,228 inhabitants
* Lower Prince's Quarter with 8,123 inhabitants
* Cul de Sac with 7,880 inhabitants
* Cole Bay with 6,046 inhabitants
* Upper Prince's Quarter with 4,020 inhabitants
* Little Bay (Fort Amsterdam) with 2,176 inhabitants
* Simpson Bay with 736 inhabitants
* Lowlands with 232 inhabitants"Simpsonbay", "Madame Estate", "Dutch Cul-de-sac", "Duch Quarter", "Cole Bay", "Oyster pond", "South Reward", "Saint-Peters", "Pointe-Blanche", "Middle Region", "Cay hill", "Upper Prince's Quarter" and "Lower Prince's Quarter".
Politics and Government
Sint Maarten is an "island area" ("eilandgebied" in Dutch), a component of the
Netherlands Antillescomparable to a municipality. The Netherlands Antillesare part of the Kingdom of the Netherlandsthough not in the European Union. Its currency is the Antillean guilder(however, the United States dollaris widely accepted). A planned restructuring of the Netherlands Antilles on December 15, 2008 will see Sint Maarten become a separate country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands (like Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles are now). This dissolution is still planned, but has been postponed to an indefinite future date. [ [http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/k006/steer006.html St. Maarten-St. Martin - Consensus, but no date set for new status ] ]
Colleges and Universities
American University of the CaribbeanSchool of Medicine (AUC), founded in 1978, was previously located on Montserrat. Because of the eruption of the Soufriere Hills volcanoin 1995, AUC moved its campus to St. Maarten later that year. A permanent campus was completed in 1998 in Cupecoy.
University of St. Martin(USM) in Philipsburg. USM is an affiliate of Johnson & Wales University.
Popular Tourist Destinations
* Border Monument in honor of the
1648 Treaty of Concordia.
PhilipsburgHistorical foundation museum.
* The Heineken airline Jet-Bar/Restaurant (aka Air LekkerBeck) (at Philipsburg).
* Fantastic jumbo jets low landings (at
zoopark with animals from the Caribbean area (on Madame estate Pondfill).
* Fort Amsterdam and Fort Willems (at Philipsburg)
* Sightseeing on Dawn Beach road.
* Emilio Wilson Historical Park (Cul-de-sac)
* Butterfly Farm
* Hiking to Pic Paradise
* The Courthouse on Frontstreet
* The newly renovated Boardwalk spanning the beachfront on Frontstreet,Philipsburg
Saint Martin, the Caribbean island.
Saint Martin (France)
History of St. Martin, the Caribbean island.
List of Sint Maarten governors.
Culture of St. Martin, the Caribbean island.
O sweet Saint-Martin's Land" (bi-national song/anthem of Saint-Martin/Sint-Maarten )
* [http://www.sintmaartenchamber.org St. Maarten Chamber of Commerce and Industry] — Official site
* [http://www.governorsxm.com/index.php Lt. Governor of St. Maarten] — Official site
Organizations and schools
* [http://www.aucmed.edu/ American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine]
* [http://www.usmonline.net/ University of St. Maarten]
* [http://www.stmaartenlibrary.org/ Philipsburg jubilee public library]
* [http://www.st-maarten.com/ St. Maarten Tourist Bureau] - Official site
* [http://www.zebrabot.com/ St. Maarten Search Engine] - Official site
* [http://www.flysxm.com/ Arrival / Departure Info Princess Juliana International Airport] - Official site
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.