Infobox Russian city
CityDay=First or second Sunday of June
Charter of Krasnoyarsk
August 19, 1628
January 26, 1822
Krasnoyarsk ( _ru. Красноя́рск) is the administrative center of
Krasnoyarsk Kraiof Russia, and the third largest city in Siberia. Krasnoyarsk lies on the Yenisei Riverand is an important junction on the Trans-Siberian Railway. The city is served by Krasnoyarsk Yemelyanovo Airport. During the Cold Warit was home to Krasnoyarsk Northeastair base, which has been turned into apartment blocks since then. Population: 909,341 (2002 census); 912,629 (1989 census).
The city was founded in July of 1628 as a Russian border fort. The group of
service class peopleled by the Cossack Andrey Dubenskoyarrived to the confluence of the Kacha Riverwith the Yenisei Riverand constructed fortifications intended to protect the frontier from attacks of native peoples who lived along Yenisei and its tributaries. In the letter to Tsarthe Cossacks reported::"...The town of trunks (log buildings) we have constructed and around the place of fort, we the servants of ye, our lord, have embedded posts and fastened them with double bindings and the place of fort have strengthened mightily..."
The fort had been named "Krasny Yar" ( _ru. Кра́сный Яр) after the local Turkic name of the place it was built by: "Kyzyl Yar", meaning "Red Ore" or "Krasny Yar" in Old Russian. The name "Krasnoyarsk" was later given when the village of Krasnyy Yar had received town status.
An intensive growth of Krasnoyarsk began with the arrival of the
Moscow Postroad(the road "M53" nowadays) in 1735 to 1741 which connected the nearby towns of Achinskand Kanskwith Krasnoyarsk and with the rest of Russia. Growth continued with the discovery of goldand the arrival of a railroadin 1895.
1749, 145 miles south of Krasnojarsk, was found meteorite mass of about 700 kg. It was seen by Peter Simon Pallasin 1772and transported to Krasnojarsk. The Krasnojarsk meteorite is important because was the first pallasiteever studied and the first meteorite ever etched.
In the 19th century Krasnoyarsk was the center of the
Siberian Cossackmovement. In 1822 it had gained the status of town and had become the capital of the Yenisei Guberniya. By the end of the 19th century Krasnoyarsk had several manufacturing facilities, railroad workshops and an engine-house.
Russian Empire, Krasnoyarsk was one of the places to which political exiles were banished. For example, eight Decembrists were deported from St. Petersburg to Krasnoyarsk after the failure of the revolt.
Russian Revolution of 1917during the periods of centralized planning ("pyatiletkas") numerous large plants and factories were constructed in Krasnoyarsk: Sibtyazhmash, the dock yard, the paper factory, the hydroelectric power station (now the fifth largest in the world and the second in Russia), and the river port.
In 1934, the second largest Russian administrative division,
Krasnoyarsk Krai, was formed. Krasnoyarsk was established as the administrative center.
During the epoch of
Stalinism, Krasnoyarsk was a major center of the Gulagsystem. The most important labor camp was the Kraslagor "Krasnoyarsky ITL" (1938-c.1960) with the two units located in Kanskand Reshyoty. In the city of Krasnoyarsk itself, the Yeniseylagor "Yeniseysky ITL" labor camp was prominent as well during World War II(c.1940-41).
During World War II dozens of factories were evacuated from
Ukraineand Western Russiato Krasnoyarsk and nearby towns, stimulating the industrial growth of the city. After the war additional large plants were constructed: the aluminum plant, the metallurgic plant, the plant of base metals and many others.
In the late 1970s, the
Soviet Unionbegan constructing a phased array radarstation at Abalakova, near Krasnoyarsk, which allegedly violated the ABM Treaty. Beginning in 1983, the United Statesdemanded its removal, until the Soviet Union admitted the radar station was a violation in 1989. Equipment was slowly removed from the site and by 1992 it was officially declared to be dismantled. The equipment from the site was likely relocated to a new site near Komsomolsk-na-Amure. [ [http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/russia/yeniseysk.htm Yeniseysk (Krasnoyarsk) ] ]
collapse of the Soviet Unionand beginning of the privatizationmany large plants and factories, such as the Krasnoyarsk Aluminum Plant, many became owned by alleged criminal authorities and oligarchs while others were declared bankrupt. The economic transition resulted in a dramatic raise in unemploymentand numerous strikes.
The best known financial scandal of the second half of 1990s happened when ownership of the
Krasnoyarsk Aluminum Plantby a known Krasnoyarsk businessman Anatoliy Bykovhad been cancelled after he was accused of murdering his partner, Vilor Struganov. The accusation eventually turned out to be false.
The Krasnoyarsk plants ownership problems continue through the early 21st century since nearly all of them are owned either by monopolistic financial groups or by
Since the election of
Pyotr Pimashkovas the mayor of Krasnoyarsk in 1996, the city's appearance has slowly improved. Old historical buildings have been restored, asphalt walkways have been replaced with paving-stone, and numerous squares with fountains have been constructed. Now the majority of the city bears only a few traces of its pragmatic Soviet look.
Coat of arms
The first version of the Krasnoyarsk coat of arms was approved on
March 12, 1804. The coat of arms was divided horizontally into two parts, the upper part containing the coat of arms of the Tomsk Guberniya, and the lower part picturing the Krasny Yar cliffon a silver background.A revised coat of arms, approved on November 23, 1851, had the golden figure of a lion placed on a red heraldic shield with a spade in the right fore paw and a sickle in the left fore paw, both made of the same metal. The shield was topped with the golden crown of the Russian Empire.The current coat of arms (see above) approved on November 28, 2004contains the same red shield with a slightly changed figure of the lion topped with the golden five-tower status crown of a federal subject center. In 2005, a m to ft|16 tall pillar with a bronze statue of the Krasnoyarsk heraldic lion upon its top was erected at the Krasnoyarsk Railway Stationsquare.
The total area of the city, including suburbs and the river, is km2 to mi2|172. The average air temperature in January is C to F|-20; in July, C to F|18. The lowest temperature ever recorded was C to F|-56; the highest, C to F|36.
Yenisei Riverflows from westto eastthrough the city. Due to the Krasnoyarsk hydroelectric damkm to mi|32 upstream, the Yenisei never freezes in winter and never exceeds C to F|14 in summer through the city. Near the city center, its altitude is m to ft|136 above sea level. There are several islands in the river, the largest of which are Tatyshev and Otdyha Isles, used mainly for recreation.
To the south and west, Krasnoyarsk is surrounded by forested hills averaging m to ft|410 in height above river level. Further south are the gigantic rock cliffs of the
StolbyNature Reserve rising from the surrounding hills. The western hills form the Gremyachinskaya Griva crest, starting from the Nikolayevskaya Sopka hill(notable for its ski jumpingtracks) and extending westwards up to the Sobakina River. The terrain north of town is rather plain, with forests to the northwest and agricultural fields to the north and east.
location = Krasnoyarsk
Jan_Hi_°C = -11.9 |Jan_REC_Hi_°C = 6.0
Feb_Hi_°C = -10.3 |Feb_REC_Hi_°C = 8.5
Mar_Hi_°C = -2.1 |Mar_REC_Hi_°C = 17.5
Apr_Hi_°C = 6.9 |Apr_REC_Hi_°C = 31.4
May_Hi_°C = 15.3 |May_REC_Hi_°C = 33.4
Jun_Hi_°C = 22.1 |Jun_REC_Hi_°C = 34.8
Jul_Hi_°C = 24.3 |Jul_REC_Hi_°C = 36.2
Aug_Hi_°C = 21.0 |Aug_REC_Hi_°C = 35.1
Sep_Hi_°C = 14.4 |Sep_REC_Hi_°C = 31.3
Oct_Hi_°C = 6.1 |Oct_REC_Hi_°C = 24.5
Nov_Hi_°C = -4.5 |Nov_REC_Hi_°C = 13.6
Dec_Hi_°C = -10.7 |Dec_REC_Hi_°C = 8.6
Year_Hi_°C = 6.0 |Year_REC_Hi_°C = 36.2
Jan_Lo_°C = -20.3 |Jan_REC_Lo_°C = -52.8
Feb_Lo_°C = -19.2 |Feb_REC_Lo_°C = -40.8
Mar_Lo_°C = -11.8 |Mar_REC_Lo_°C = -38.7
Apr_Lo_°C = -3.2 |Apr_REC_Lo_°C = -25.7
May_Lo_°C = 3.7 |May_REC_Lo_°C = -10.6
Jun_Lo_°C = 10.1 |Jun_REC_Lo_°C = -3.6
Jul_Lo_°C = 13.1 |Jul_REC_Lo_°C = 3.3
Aug_Lo_°C = 10.6 |Aug_REC_Lo_°C = -1.2
Sep_Lo_°C = 4.7 |Sep_REC_Lo_°C = -9.6
Oct_Lo_°C = -2.0 |Oct_REC_Lo_°C = -25.1
Nov_Lo_°C = -12.0 |Nov_REC_Lo_°C = -42.3
Dec_Lo_°C = -19.1 |Dec_REC_Lo_°C = -47.0
Year_Lo_°C = -3.6 |Year_REC_Lo_°C = -52.8
Jan_Precip_cm = |Jan_Precip_mm = 15
Feb_Precip_cm = |Feb_Precip_mm = 13
Mar_Precip_cm = |Mar_Precip_mm = 15
Apr_Precip_cm = |Apr_Precip_mm = 26
May_Precip_cm = |May_Precip_mm = 47
Jun_Precip_cm = |Jun_Precip_mm = 58
Jul_Precip_cm = |Jul_Precip_mm = 80
Aug_Precip_cm = |Aug_Precip_mm = 68
Sep_Precip_cm = |Sep_Precip_mm = 41
Oct_Precip_cm = |Oct_Precip_mm = 41
Nov_Precip_cm = |Nov_Precip_mm = 37
Dec_Precip_cm = |Dec_Precip_mm = 26
Year_Precip_cm = |Year_Precip_mm = 467
source = Pogoda.ru.netcite web
url = http://pogoda.ru.net/climate/29570.htm | title = Pogoda.ru.net| accessmonthday = September 8| accessyear = 2007
publisher = | language = Russian]
accessdate = 8.09.2007
accessdate2 = -->
The most prominent hills in the Krasnoyarsk area are:
The major rivers located in the Krasnoyarsk area are:
Due to the specifics of the relief, few natural lakes exist in the Krasnoyarsk neighborhood.
The nearby towns are (with distances from Krasnoyarsk and directions):
*Sosnovoborsk (30 km NE)
Divnogorsk(34 km SE)
*Zheleznogorsk (46 km NE)
Uyar(88 km E)
*Zelenogorsk (103 km E)
Zaozyorny(109 km E)
*Borodino (122 km E)
Achinsk(153 km W)
*Nazarovo (158 km W)
Kansk(173 km E)
Artyomovsk(186 km S)
Ilansky(195 km E)
Uzhur(209 km W)
Bogotol(213 km W)
Krasnoyarsk is divided into seven administrative districts:
The population count by year:Fact|date=October 2007
Population count by districts (2002 census):
The population of Krasnoyarsk includes a number of peoples, the most numerous are
Russians, Ukrainians, Tatars, Germans, and Belarusians. Lately the number of Tajiks, Uzbeksand other Central Asian and Caucasian peoples has grown extensively because of the vast, often illegal immigrationin search for work.
immigrantgroup is the Chinese who, unlike other foreign workers, are employed in much more lucrative areas and often form business partnerships with local companies. Many Chinese trade at the bazaars, and there is even a special large Chinese bazaarnamed "Sodruzhestvo" (Russian for "fellowship"), and the "Chinese Trading Town" (known in Russian as Китайский торговый город) or colloquially " Kitai-gorod" situated at Strelka.
There are a number of historical buildings in Krasnoyarsk, the oldest of them is the Intercession Cathedral ( _ru. Покровский собор, 1785 to 1795, restored in 1977 to 1978). Other locally significant samples of Russian Orthodox architecture are the Annunciation Cathedral ( _ru. Благовещенский собор, 1802-12), the St. Trinity Cathedral ( _ru. Свято-Троицкий собор, 1802-12), John the Baptist Church ( _ru. Церковь Иоанна Предтечи, 1899, former episcopal residence), and the new Michael the Archangel Church ( _ru. Церковь Архистратига Михаила, 1998 to 2003).
On the top of the Karaulnaya hill, originally a pagan shrine, later occupied by the Krasnoyarsk fort watchtower, the St. Paraskeba Chapel ( _ru. Часовня Параскевы Пятницы, 1804, rebuilt in 1854 to 1855) still stands. The chapel, displayed on the 10-ruble note, is one of iconic images of the city. The chapel was abandoned and fell into disrepair during the Soviet era and only when the
Perestroykacame it had been regained by the Yenisei bishopric.
Another unofficial symbol of Krasnoyarsk is the incomplete 24 storey tower located at Strelka. Construction of the tower had been started just before
Perestroykaand then frozen due to the administrative crisis. The outline of the tower is clearly seen from many places in the city.
A bridge near Krasnoyarsk carries the
Trans-Siberian Railwayacross the Yenisei. This structure, one of the longest at the time, was constructed between 1893 and 1896 to an award-winning design by Lavr Proskuryakov. When approved for the inscription on the World Heritage Listin 2003, the bridge was described by the UNESCOas "an early representation of a typical parabolic polygonal truss bridgein Russia" which became "a testing ground for the application of engineering theories and the development of new innovative solutions, which had numerous successors" ( [http://whc.unesco.org/p_dynamic/document/document_download.cfm?id_document=1441] ).Among other notable buildings are the mansions of the merchant Nikolay Gadalov(beginning of the 20th century), the Roman-Catholic Transfiguration Chapel ( _ru. Преображенский собор, 1911, also known as the Krasnoyarsk Organ Hall), the Krasnoyarsk Krai Museumstylized as an Ancient Egyptian temple, the Krasnoyarsk Cultural/Historical Centerand the triumphal arch at the Spit (2003), the flanked with two towers known as the "Donkey Ears".There are a number of 2-storey wooden houses in the city built mostly in the middle of the 20th century as temporary habitations. Many urbanized villages located inside the city keep the remnants of the traditional Russian village architecture: wooden houses with backyards, many somewhat dilapidated now but still inhabited.
Vasily Surikov, historic painter
Viktor Astafyev, writer
Pyotr Slovtsov, opera singer
Alexander Porochine, a musician
Dmitri Hvorostovsky, operatic baritones
Andrey Pozdeyev, painter
Valery Kudrinsky, painter
Toivo Rännel, painter
Boris Musat, sculptor
Yury Zlotya, sculptor
Roman Solntsev, writer
Nikolay Gayduk, writer
Natalya Korobkova, volleyball player
Alexander Semin, Professional ice hockey player for the Washington Capitals
Veniamin Kostitsin, painter
There are a number of local holidays celebrated annually in Krasnoyarsk. The most significant holiday is the "Day of the City" celebrated in June, usually with the
carnival. Other holidays and cultural events are: the "Mana Festival" ( _ru. Манский фестиваль) usually held on last weekend in June with the traditional bard contest, the International Museum Biennaletraditionally held in the Krasnoyarsk Cultural/Historical Center, the avant-garde"Museum Night" festival dedicated to the International Museum Day( May 18), the "Jazz on Yenisey" festival, the "Stolbist Day" held many times a year celebrating the traditions of mountain climbingin the Stolbynational reserve, the "Bikers' Rally".
Krasnoyarsk has a number of local
televisioncompanies and the highly-developed telecommunications, many districts of the city have LAN-based broadband Internetaccess.
The city is also home to the
Krasnoyarsk Children's Choira world-renowned choir that tours in many countries as The Little Eagles of Siberia.
Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk is a very prominent scientific and educational center of Siberia, with over 30 higher educationfacilities, many of which are the branches of the Russian Academy of Science, and about 200 high schools. The most notable higher educationinstitutes are:
Siberian Federal University(Russian abbreviation is "SibFU"), founded in November 4, 2006. The institution integrated four large higher education institutions (Krasnoyarsk State University, Krasnoyarsk State Academy of Architecture and Civil Construction, Krasnoyarsk State Technical University, State University of Non-Ferrous Metals and Gold)
Krasnoyarsk State Pedagogical University(Russian abbreviation is "KGPU"), founded in 1932
Siberian State Technological University(Russian abbreviation is "SibGTU"), the oldest in the city, founded in 1930 as the Siberian Institute of Forest
Siberian State Aerospace University(Russian abbreviation is "SibGAU"), founded in 1960
Krasnoyarsk State Medical Academy(Russian abbreviation is "KrasGMA"), founded in 1942
Sukachev Institute of Forest, founded in 1944
Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk has a special city district called Akademgorodok ("Academic Town" in Russian) where several educational institutes are located. Krasnoyarsk's Institute of Biophysicsis known for a 1973–1985 experiment on ecological isolation of humanbeings (the " Bios Experiment").
There are several museums in Krasnoyarsk. Krasnoyarsk zoo is a major attraction for residents and tourists.
An underground system (three lines) has been in planning and construction phases in Krasnoyarsk for decades. The first three stations have not been opened yet, but several construction sites around the city are visible. The system is expected to be finally opened in 2010-2012.
Krasnoyarsk lies on the Yenisei River and historically has been an important junction on the
Krasnoyarsk is served by
Yemelyanovo Airport, located 37 km northwest of the city.
The most popular place of attraction for tourists visiting Krasnoyarsk is the huge national nature reserve
Stolby("Pillars" in Russian) or the "Rock Pillars". Stolbycovers an area of 470 km² (181 mile²) with numerous giant graniterocks formations up to 100 meters high, many of very extraordinary shapes. Stolby is also a major rock climbinglocation, many local climbers intentionally do not use any belaying equipment and call their extreme sport " stolbizm", which is known around the world as solo climbing.
Other popular showplaces include the
Krasnoyarsk Hydroelectric Power Stationdam, the Karaulnaya Gora hillwith the Paraskeva Pyatnitsa Chapel, museums, theaters, etc.
Krasnoyarsk is considered a stronghold of
rugby unionin Russia. Two Krasnoyarsk clubs, Krasny Yar and Enisei-STM, participate in the national Professional Rugby League. Matches are covered by local media, and the intra-city derby match between Krasny Yar and Enisei-STM can attract large crowds. Many players of the Russian national rugby team hail from the area.
Krasnoyarsk is the former home of the
Rugby Union of Russia, which has since relocated to Moscow. Some of Russia's international rugby matches are played at Central Stadium, in Krasnoyarsk. Enisey Krasnoyarskwill play in the Russian Basketball Super Leaguein the 2007–2008 season. FC Metallurg Krasnoyarskcompete in the Russian Second Division, the third tier of professional football in Russia.
* [http://www.waytorussia.net/Siberia/Krasnoyarsk/Guide.html Krasnoyarsk Visiting Guide]
* [http://www.sibtourguide.com Siberian Tour Guide]
* [http://english.newslab.ru Krasnoyarsk today's news]
* [http://art.sibinet.ru The gallery of Krasnoyarsk artists]
* [http://www.sfu-kras.ru/en The Siberian Federal University homepage]
* [http://www.kraskarta.ru Interactive online map of Krasnoyarsk] ru icon
* [http://www.yarmap.ru Monthly-updated downloadable software map of Krasnoyarsk] ru icon
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Krasnoyarsk — [kräs΄nō yärsk′] 1. territory in SC Russia: 903,400 sq mi (2,339,797 sq km); pop. 3,048,000 2. capital of this territory, on the Yenisei River: pop. 869,000 … English World dictionary
Krasnoyarsk — Красноярск Krasnoyarsk Bandera … Wikipedia Español
Krasnoyarsk — /kras neuh yahrsk /; Russ. /krddeuh snu yahrddsk /, n. 1. a territory of the Russian Federation in N and central Asia. 3,198,000; 827,507 sq. mi. (2,143,243 sq. km). 2. a town in and the capital of this territory, on the Yenisei River. 796,000. * … Universalium
Krasnoyarsk — Krasnoïarsk Krasnoïarsk Красноярск … Wikipédia en Français
Krasnoyarsk — Stadt Krasnojarsk Красноярск Flagge Wappen … Deutsch Wikipedia
Krasnoyarsk — Original name in latin Krasnoyarsk Name in other language KJA, Krasnoiarsk, Krasnojarsk, Krasnoyarsk, Krasnoarsk, Красноярск State code RU Continent/City Asia/Krasnoyarsk longitude 56.01839 latitude 92.86717 altitude 140 Population 927200 Date… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
krasnoyarsk — ˈkraznəˌyärsk, ˌ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ˈ ̷ ̷ adjective Usage: usually capitalized Etymology: from Krasnoyarsk, city in west central Siberia, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics : of or from the city of Krasnoyarsk, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics : of the… … Useful english dictionary
Krasnoyarsk — noun A large city in the Krasnoyarsk krai, Siberia, Russia … Wiktionary
Krasnoyarsk — geographical name 1. territory W central Russia in Asia extending along valley of the Yenisey from Arctic Ocean to Sayan Mountains area 927,258 square miles (2,401,598 square kilometers), population 3,122,000 2. city, its capital, on the upper… … New Collegiate Dictionary
Krasnoyarsk — city, CEN Russia; pop. 912,000 … Webster's Gazetteer