- Atlantic Canada
Atlantic Canada, also known as the Atlantic provinces, is the region of
Canadacomprising four provinces located on the Atlantic coast: the three Maritime provinces – New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island– and Newfoundland and Labrador. The population of the Atlantic provinces was 2,332,535 in 2007 [http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/071219/d071219b.htm] .
premierof Newfoundland and Labrador, Joey Smallwood, coined the term Atlantic Canada when Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada in 1949. He believed it would be presumptuous for Newfoundland and Labrador to assume that it could include itself within the existing term "Maritime Provinces", used to describe the cultural similarities between Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick. The three maritime provinces joined Confederation in the nineteenth century: New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in 1867 and Prince Edward Island in 1873.
Occasionally, the Maritimes is used as a synonym for the "Atlantic provinces", but this usage is considered incorrect as the former generally excludes Newfoundland and Labrador.
(List includes communities above 15,000, by population/metro area) [http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/data/popdwell/Table.cfm?T=201&S=3&O=D&RPP=150]
Aboriginal peoples in Atlantic Canada
List of regions of Canada
*Margaret Conrad and James K. Hiller. "Atlantic Canada: a concise history." Don Mills, Ont.: Oxford University Press, 2006.
*Margaret Conrad and James K. Hiller. "Atlantic Canada: a region in the making." Toronto: Oxford University Press, 2001.
* [http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/atlas/themes.aspx?id=atlantic&lang=En Atlas of Canada - Atlantic Region]
* [http://www.ECanuck.com ECanuck Atlantic Canada]
* [http://www.yourcity.ecanuck.com Atlantic Canadian cities and Surrounding areas]
* [http://atlanticportal.hil.unb.ca/ Atlantic Canada Portal/Portail du Canada Atlantique]
* [http://www2.acoa-apeca.gc.ca/investment/home.htm?lang=en Atlantic Canada - A Profitable Place to do Business]
* [http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/Canada_all1.html Historical Coins of Atlantic Canada]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.