Infobox Law Firm
firm_name = Linklaters
num_offices = 30
num_attorneys = 3,000
practice_areas = General practice
revenue = profit ₤1.12 billion
date_founded = 1838 (
homepage = [http://www.linklaters.com www.linklaters.com]
Linklaters LLP is a UK-based global
law firm, which advises some of the world’s leading organisations on transactions and operations. Linklaters has 30 offices in 23 countries, and is one of the five members of the so-called "Magic Circle" of prominent UK law firms. Over the past decade, Linklaters has undergone a major transformation from an English lawfirm to a leading global firm. Today, Linklaters has around 540 partners and 2,400 qualified lawyers, more than 60% of whom are based outside the UK.
It is the world's second largest law firm by revenues (2006 figures). [ [http://www.thelawyer.com/global100/ The Lawyer Global 100] from "
The Lawyer" published in association with " The American Lawyer" in November 2006]
On 1 May, 2007, Linklaters converted to a
Limited Liability Partnership.
Linklaters was founded in 1838 as Dods & Linklater. In 1920, the firm merged with Paine, Blyth & Huxtable, creating Linklaters & Paines.
Ten years ago, Linklaters was predominantly an English law firm with small domestic operations in a number of overseas jurisdictions (
Brussels, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Moscow, New York City, Paris, Singapore, and Tokyo). In 1996, the firm pursued a strategy of global expansion to meet the increasing demand for premium, multi-jurisdictional legal advice. Since then, it has built a formidable global practice through organic growth and a series of mergers and joint ventures. In 1998, Linklaters & Alliance was formed with four other European law firms: De Bandt, van Hecke, Lagae & Loesch; De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek; Lagerlöf & Leman, and Oppenhoff & Rädler.
Over the next five years Linklaters merged with three of these firms in
Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and Sweden, as well as merging with firms in the Czech Republicand Polandand opening offices in Amsterdam, Bangkok, Beijing, Budapest, Bucharest, Bratislava, Lisbon, Madrid, Milan, Rome, São Paulo, and Shanghai.
During this period, Linklaters formed a joint venture with the premier
Singaporepractice, Allen & Gledhill, to create Linklaters Allen & Gledhill, and a co-operation with Brazilian firm Lefosse Advogados.
On April 1, 2005, when new laws came into effect in Japan, permitting multi-national partnerships, Linklaters created Japan’s first fully-merged law firm practising Japanese, English, and US law, meaning that Linklaters found itself among the few global firms in Japan who can provide international and domestic advice from a single source. Linklaters opened its newest office in
Dubaiin February 2006, building on its thirty-year track-record of advising clients in the Middle East, in response to clients’ increased focus on the Middle East and a growing demand for premium legal advice from clients operating in the region.
Main practice areas
Chambers & Partners ranks Linklaters as a top-tier performer in more than 50 practices—more than any other law firm.
*Competition / Antitrust
*Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions
*Environment & Planning
*Litigation & Arbitration
*Real Estate & Construction
*Technology, Media & Telecommunications
Linklaters has 20 sector groups operating on the same global basis as its practice area support.
*Aerospace & Defence
*Energy and Utilities
*Food & Beverage
*Infrastructure and Construction
*Leisure and Hotels
*Media & Entertainment
*Transport and Logistics
* [http://legalweek.com/Navigation/20/Articles/1043554/Record+Spanish+IPO+gifts+Freshfields+and+Linklaters+roles+on+E4bn+bank.html Record Spanish IPO gifts Freshfields and Linklaters roles on €4bn bank flotation]
* [http://legalweek.com/Navigation/20/Articles/1029354/Linklaters+scores+18bn+IPO+trio+as+Russia+taps+the.html Linklaters scores $18bn IPO trio as Russia taps the market]
* [http://www.thelawyer.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=127504 Linklaters fields multijurisdictional team for landmark Indian IPO]
* [http://legalweek.com/Navigation/20/Articles/1031771/Linklaters+set+to+recruit+senior+MA+partner+for+Italian.html Linklaters set to recruit senior M&A partner for Italian push]
* [http://www.ameinfo.com/88254.html Linklaters celebrates Dubai launch]
* [http://www.iflr.com/default.asp?Page=9&PUBID=263&ISS=23258&SID=673756 Linklaters hires Ereira from Freshfields]
* [http://www.linklaters.com Official Site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.