- Provincial Assembly of Sindh
Provincial Assembly of the
Sindhis a unicameralhouse of elected representatives of People of Sindh established under the Article 106 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Under this article the total number of seats for the Provincial Assembly of the Sindh through direct vote is 168, of which 29 seats are reserved for women and 9 seats for non-Muslims.
Sindh was conquered by the British General, Sir Charles Napier in 1843. He joined Sindh with Indian British Empire, in those days Sindh was a Separate state. After few years, in 1847 Sindh lost it status as a “State”, its separate Identity, and Sindh become a part of Bombay Presidency. In that time, Sindh was controlled by a Commissioner. Sindh was a Commissionerate of Bombay Presidency.
In year 1890, after Minto reforms,
Sindhgot representation first time in Bombay Legislative Assembly. Approximately four members represented Sindh. After that, movement of separation of Sindh from Bombay Presidency was started.
With the introduction of Provincial Autonomy, under the Government of India Act 1935. The newly created Province Sindh, secured a Legislative Assembly of its own, consisting of 60 members only, elected on the basis of communal representation and weight age to the minority community.
After long struggle of separation of
Sindhfrom Bombay Presidency, starts its first part of history in 1935.Under Section 40(3) of Government of India Act, 1935 Sindh was separated from the Bombay presidency on 1st April, 1936.
Sir Lancelot Graham was appointed as the first Governor of Sindh by the British Government on 1st April, 1936. He was also the head of a council of 25 members, including 2 advisers from Bombay Council, to administer the affairs of Sindh, until 1937.
The two-storey building of the Sindh Assembly consists of the camp office of the Chief Minister, offices of the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, ministers, Leader of the Opposition, Secretariat, Law Department of the Government of Sindh, and Library.
The foundation stone of the building was laid by Sir Lancelot Graham, the
Governor of Sindh, on 11 March 1940. The construction of the building – declared open by Sir Hugh Dow, the Governor of Sindh, on 4 March 1942 – was completed within a span of two years.
In 1971, after a lapse of about 24 years, it was again declared as the Sindh Assembly building. Since then it has been used as such. Presently, the central portion of the building, the Assembly Hall, seats a capacity of 168 Legislators. [ [http://www.pas.gov.pk/html/1193658641_e.shtml History ] ]
* First Assembly - 27 April 1937 to 1945
* Second Assembly - 12 March, 1946 to 1946
* Third Assembly - 17 February 1947 to 1951
* Fourth Assembly - 12 September 1953 to 1955
* Fifth Assembly - 1972 to 1977
* Sixth Assembly - 30 March 1977 to 5 July 1977
* Seventh Assembly - March - 28 February 1985 to 30 May 1988
* Eighth Assembly - 19 November 1988 to 6th August 1990
* Ninth Assembly - 27 October 1990 to 19 July 1993
* Tenth Assembly - 9 October 1993 to 05 November 1996
* Eleventh Assembly - 03 February 1997 to 12 October 1999
* Twelfth Assembly - 10 October 2002 to 15 November 2007
* Thirteenth Assembly - 18 February 2008 to present
The current members of the Assembly, split by party, are:
Government of Sindh
* [http://www.pas.gov.pk/ Provincial Assembly of Sindh]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.