- Subspecies of Canis lupus
name = Gray Wolf
phylum = Chordata
genus = "
species = "
"Canis lupus" has 39
subspeciescurrently described, including two subspecies of domestic dog, "Canis lupus dingo" and "Canis lupus familiaris", and many subspecies of wolfthroughout the northern hemisphere. The nominative subspecies is "Canis lupus lupus".
Biological taxonomy is not fixed, and placement of taxa is reviewed as a result of new research. The current categorization of subspecies of "Canis lupus" is shown below. Also included are synonyms, which are now-discarded duplicate or incorrect namings. Common names are given but may vary, as they have no set meaning.
* [http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=180596 Canis lupus on the ITIS] (
Integrated Taxonomic Information System)
* [http://www.bucknell.edu/msw3/browse.asp?id=14000738 Mammal Species of the World, 3rd edition, Canis lupus page online]
* [http://www.bucknell.edu/msw3/documents/MSW3Citations.pdf Citations for Mammal Species of the World, as a PDF]
* [http://genomebiology.com/2003/4/6/P6 Ancient origin and evolution of the Indian wolf] including discussion on naming.
* [http://www.wolfhowl.org/subspecies.php Wolf subspecies list with photos and maps]
* [http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/wildlife/wolves/wolf_species.html Animal Corner, UK list of wolves]
* [http://www.lioncrusher.com/animalinfo.asp A very detailed hobbyist's site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.