- Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood
The Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood , founded in 1947, is an international congregation and serve in 11 countries, both in the developed and developing world, serving at various campuses and schools, prisons and hospitals.
In 1887, community of Franciscan Tertiaries begins in Holly Place, London, looking after orphans. It became a religious congregation called, "The Missionary Sisters of the Third Order of St Francis for the Home Missions" in 1896. Initially 4 communities spread over 3 dioceses, only two (Littlehampton and Aldershot) remained in 1911.
In 1917 The
Aldershotcommunity came under the leadership of Mother Colette, received permission to take postulants. Blanche Spring, later known as Mother Francis, joined the community. In 1925 The first sisters were sent to train as nurses including Sr Francis Spring and in 1935 The first hospital, Mount Alvernia, was opened in Guildford(UK). Mother Francis Spring was elected Mother General in 1937. In 1947, the Congregation was renamed "Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood" and became a Papal Congregation. [ cite web
title = Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood
accessdate = 2006-12-20]
Areas of concern
*pastoral care in hospitals,
*schools and universities
*counselling and spiritual direction
*health care in bush missions
*caring for those afflicted with AIDS
*involvement in justice, peace and the care of the environment
[http://www.fmdm.org.au/ Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.