- Black ribbon
The black ribbon, like similar
awareness ribbons, is worn or displayed as a political statement.
The ribbon has been used in a variety of manners:
* In the
United Kingdomafter the death of Diana, Princess of Walesin 1997
* Currently, Pakistanis across the world are wearing black ribbons and displaying it as their ID on the internet to protest against the Martial Law imposed by President Musharraf in Pakistan on the 3rd of November, 2007. In the city of Karachi, a group known as SOS- Subversive Operations Service is painting the city's walls with the symbol as a sign of resistance against the Martial Law and its resultant crackdown on political moderates and the country's intelligentsia.
* By the Anarchist Blue Ribbon Campaign, a
free speechcampaign started in 1996inspired by the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign. [ [http://a4a.mahost.org/black.html Black Ribbon Campaign ] ] [ [http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/4271/graphics2.html BARC Graphics ] ]
blackribbon has again made an appearance shortly after a category 4 Hurricane Katrinalanded on the Gulf of Mexicoarea in September 2005. New Orleanswas destroyed and many cities in the Mississippi Gulf Coastarea obliterated.
blackribbon was a symbol of popular griefin Spainafter the 11 March 2004 Madrid attacks. It was worn on clothing and also pinned on the Spanish flag (notably by politicians during the campaign for the 2004 legislative election, taking place at the same time).
* After the
7 July 2005 London bombings, Hurricane Katrinarelief effort in September 2005.
* Metal fans use black ribbons to remember
Dimebag Darrell, who was murdered on stage on December 8, 2004.
* The black ribbon has been used as a symbol of melanoma awareness before its adoption to other things.
*After the earthquake on August 15, 2007 in Peru, black ribbons were the icons of all Peruvian television channels for 3 days
* After the death of
Heath Ledgerin January 2008, Warner Brothersplaced a black ribbon on their marketing website www.whysoserious.com for The Dark Knight in his memory.
* In the
Discworldnovels by Terry Pratchett, the black ribbon is worn by vampiresto show that they have sworn never to drink blood again.
Variations of the ribbon
* The TortureProtest.org [http://tortureprotest.org/actnow/black_ribbon black ribbon campaign] .
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.