- New Jersey hardcore
Evolution from punk rock
New Jersey had many early punk bands, circa 1975 - 1979, including The Misfits. Many of these fledgeling early punk bands heard many sounds in the early 80's when hardcore punk originators like Black Flag, Bad Brains, and Minor Threat toured and gained national exposure.
- The Misfits - formed 1977 in Lodi *Worldwide
- Shrapnel - formed 1977 in the Jersey Shore area
- The Worst - formed 1977 in the Jersey Shore area
- The Burnt - formed 1978 in Midland Park
- The Radicals - formed 1978 in Paterson
- East Paterson Boys Choir - formed 1978 in Elmwood Park
- The Pleasure Hounds - formed 1978 or 1979 in Clifton
1980-1985 - The first wave
New Jersey had developed several regional, overlapping hardcore punk scenes by 1981-'82. Proximity to New York City and Philadelphia has long tended to draw punk and hardcore bands away from New Jersey, with historic examples including Bergen County bands such as the Misfits . Adrenalin OD was one of the more important early hardcore punk bands to identify primarily with New Jersey. The early hardcore scene in the state was centered around A.O.D. who became the first Jersey hardcore band to achieve international fame.
It was during this period that several New Jersey-based record labels specializing in hardcore punk were formed and began releasing albums. While there were many, two of the most influential were Mutha Records from West Long Branch, Buy Our Records of Union County, as well as Bergen, Morris and Passaic counties being a prime development bed.
- The Undead - formed 1980 in New Milford
- Adrenalin O.D. - formed 1981 in Elmwood Park
- Autistic Behavior- formed 1981 Jackson
- Boo! Radley and the Scouts - formed 1981 in Newbridge
- Mechanized Death - formed 1982 in Montclair
- No Democracy - formed 1982 in Clifton
- Pleased Youth - formed 1982 in New Brunswick
- Sacred Denial - formed 1982 in Clifton
- Seeds of Terror - formed 1982 in Camden
- Bodies in Panic - formed in 1983 in Union
- Hogan's Heroes - formed 1984 in Toms River *Worldwide
- Social Decay - formed 1984 in Toms River
- Mucky Pup - formed 1985 in Bergenfield
1986-1990 - The second wave
During the mid and late 1980s, hardcore bands started to experiment with their sounds, taking their cues from other national scenes. Some would imitate the crossover thrash/skate punk of Suicidal Tendencies, while others would incorporate more melodic sounds similar to the early emo scene developing in Washington, D.C. Still others would draw influence from the nearby New York hardcore scene, including the youth crew movement.
- A Priori - formed 1986
- Jersey Fresh - formed 1986 in Ewing
- Neurotic Impulse - formed 1986 in Bridgewater
- Plaid Youth - formed 1986 in Bridgewater
- False Justice - formed 1987 in Barnegat
- Vision - formed 1987
- Hard Shell - formed 1988 in Parsippany
- C.C.4.J. - formed 1988
- Turning Point - formed 1988
- Knuckle Sandwich - formed 1989 in Flemington
- Rorschach - formed 1989
- Dog Eat Dog - formed 1990 in Bergen County
- Lifetime - formed 1990
1991-1999 - The third wave
During the mid and late 1990s, regional scenes within NJ started to develop as the emphasis moved away from NYC and more towards local bands and venues. The NJHC separated into 3 distinct scenes with its own bands, ideology and sound. The northern NJHC scene was centered and concentrated around The Pipeline in Newark and minor amounts at Studio One, a heavy metal pop dance club. The central NJ scene centered around Asbury Park (Fast Lanes), The Brighton Bar in Long Branch, and at The Stone Pony. The South Jersey scene centered around the areas of Philadelphia and frequently transgressed intrastate.
Northern New Jersey bands
- Citizen Pain - formed 1992 in Garfield
- NJ Bloodline - formed 1992 in Elizabeth *Worldwide
- 97a - formed 1994 in Wayne
- Heckle - formed 1994 in Dumont
- Rest Assured?- formed 1994 in Dumont
- E.Town Concrete - formed 1995 in Elizabeth *Worldwide
- Hindsight - formed 1995 in Westwood
- Tears of Frustration - formed 1995 in Bergen County *Worldwide
- Uprise - formed 1995 in Morris County
- A Moments Peace - formed 1996 in Passaic
- No Contest - formed 1996 in Kearny
- Ember/ December Aeternalis - formed 1997 in Belleville
- No Regrets - formed 1997 in Belleville
- Future Primitive NJ - formed 1998 in Newark
- Holeshot - formed 1992 in [[Verona]
- Flat Earth Society - Formed in 1998 (Garfield)
Central New Jersey bands
- Strength 691 - formed in 1991
- Fury of Five - formed 1994 in Asbury Park *Worldwide
- Alterkation - formed in 1995
- For the Love of - formed in 1995 *Worldwide
- UNDERCUT - formed in 1999 Flemington
- Bloodfeud - formed 1996 in Belmar
- Knuckle Sandwich - reformed in 1996 Flemington
- Second to None - formed in Lakewood
- OS101 - formed in 1996 in Island Heights
- Consent - formed in 1996 in Point Pleasant Beach
South New Jersey bands
- Chaotic Discharge - formed in 1990
- Ideel - formed in 1992 featuring Zack Merck on vocals
- Shadow Season - formed in 1993 ex members of Turning Point
- Proving Ground - formed in 1994 in Tabernacle ended in 1996 featuring Joe Terry the MuffinMan.
- Sign Of Choice - formed in 1996 after the demise of Proving Ground. Featuring future members of Hail Social, Dayafter and Steadfast.
- Dayafter - formed in 1996 exmembers of Proving Ground,Sign Of Choice and future singer of The Deadly.
- Meltwater - Moorestown
National and international recognition
By 1994 some first and second wave worldwide bands were releasing material with American, European and Japanese labels drawing even more attention to the NJHC scene.
As these scenes started to grow and gain popularity, so did the bands that emerged from these scenes. Alternatively, some first and second generation NJHC bands signed to larger national labels and became internationally recognized. In 1995 Dog Eat Dog were voted Breakthrough Artists of the Year at the MTV Europe Music Awards. This drew international attention to the NJHC scene.
By 1996, third generation bands were pushing NJHC further into the limelight through extensive touring, tape trading and their outspokenness of the NJHC scene.
Hardcore punk StylesChristian hardcore · Crossover thrash · Crust punk · D-beat · Deathcore · Digital hardcore · Electronicore · Emo · Grindcore · Hatecore · Melodic hardcore · Metalcore · Nardcore · Nintendocore · Oi! · Post-hardcore · Powerviolence · Punk metal · Queercore · Rapcore · Screamo · Skate punk · Sludge metal · Street punk · Taqwacore · Thrashcore · UK 82 · Youth crew Regional scenes Other topicsSee also: The punk music portal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
New York hardcore — Stylistic origins Extreme metal Hardcore punk Punk rock Streetpunk Oi! D beat Crust punk Crossover thrash Cultural origins Beginning 1980s, New York, United States Typical instruments … Wikipedia
New York hardcore — Mit New York Hardcore, oft abgekürzt mit NYHC, werden die Hardcoreszene New Yorks und ihre Protagonisten bezeichnet. Zum Teil wird die Genrebezeichnung auch ohne räumliche Konnotation benutzt, um eine spezifische Spielweise des Hardcores zu… … Deutsch Wikipedia
New York Hardcore — „NYHC“ als T Shirt Motiv Mit New York Hardcore, oft abgekürzt mit NYHC, werden die Hardcoreszene New Yorks und ihre Protagonisten bezeichnet. Zum Teil wird die Genrebezeichnung auch ohne räumliche Konnotation benutzt, um eine spezifische… … Deutsch Wikipedia
New Jersey — 40° 00′ N 74° 30′ W / 40, 74.5 … Wikipédia en Français
Music of New Jersey — The American state of New Jersey has a diverse musical culture and history reflecting its diverse population and history. Contents 1 Official symbols 2 Popular music 3 Jazz 4 Hip Hop … Wikipedia
Robbinsville Township, New Jersey — Infobox Settlement official name = Robbinsville Township, New Jersey settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250x200px map caption = Robbinsville Township highlighted in Mercer County. Inset… … Wikipedia
Paramus, New Jersey — Borough Map highli … Wikipedia
Westfield, New Jersey — Infobox Settlement official name = Westfield, New Jersey settlement type = Town nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250x200px map caption = Map of Westfield in Union County. Inset: Location of Union County highlighted… … Wikipedia
Jefferson Township, New Jersey — Infobox Settlement official name = Jefferson Township, New Jersey settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = 250 px map caption = Jefferson Township highlighted in Morris County. Inset mapsize1 = map … Wikipedia
Millington, New Jersey — Country United States State New Jersey County Morris County Population (2000) – Total 3,000 … Wikipedia