- Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance
Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance (TUGSA) is a group of LGTB & Allied medical students, staff, and faculty at
Touro University, a Jewish-sponsored university in California founded by Dr. Bernard Lander. The group was formally recognized by the Student Government of Touro on September 4, 2002 and has been a University sanctioned club since that time, with the exception of 4 days in September of 2006.
* [http://www.tugsa.net TUGSA's] stated mission is to promote equitable health care delivery through awareness and education. The group was founded to represent diversity both on the
Touro Universitycampus and in medicine. The existence of TUGSA is supported by Touro University’s non-discrimination policy, which lists sexual orientation as a protected status.
* TUGSA’s mission is directed towards future doctors. The organization claims that it is vital for medical students to be exposed to the realities
LGBTpersons face in seeking health care.
In September 2006, the charter of the Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance was revoked by the administration of
Touro University. After 5 years of funding and recognition, the group was told their budget would be de-funded. TUGSA was denied the use of any school funds or facilities to hold meetings on the campus of the medical college. TUGSA was forbidden from announcing meetings on school grounds or over the school's computer system. The school cited "inconsistences between the group's mission and Jewish law."
:* On Sept 11, 2006, students, faculty and staff of Touro University protested the revokation of the TUGSA charter. They were joined by representatives from the American Medical Student Association, the Gay Lesbian Medical Association and two members of the Vallejo City Council.
:* In a letter written to Touro University dated Sept 11, 2006,
Stephanie Gomesand Gary Cloutierof the Vallejo City Council stated "The fact that Touro has elected to deny the gay student group recognition under a publicly stated rationale that is transparently discriminatory and based on a tired cliché will make supporting future Touro initiatives highly problematic."
San Francisco Board of Supervisorsadopted an agenda item urging Touro to reconsider its actions [SF City Ordinance 061278 http://www.sfgov.org/site/bdsupvrs_page.asp?id=45970] .
:* After 4 days of protest, Touro University provost
Harvey Kayestated that the LGTB student group's charter had not been revoked. In a letter to the Vallejo City Council dated Sept 11, 2006, he stated, "In my capacity as provost, I apologize on behalf of the university that this controversy has arisen, and trust that my letter will lay this matter to rest."
:*In May 2008, Michael Harter, PhD, senior provost and CEO for Touro University said the executive team at the university never took any action to rescind funding for the gay-straight alliance and was not in agreement with the comments made by the university administrator at the student government meeting. cquote|It’s clear to me that the administration had not taken a position on the matter and, when they were eventually confronted with the issue, they did not take any action against the student group. [cite journal
title=Out but not loud. Even as acceptance grows, gay DOs, students remain wary
journal=The DO magazine
publisher=American Osteopathic Association
20pxThis is the second major incidence of a Gay-Lesbian-Transgender student group being banned from a US med school. The first occurred at
New York Medical Collegein Valhalla, NY in the Fall of 2004. The situation garnered national media attention in the US. The Gay and Lesbian Medical Associationand the American Medical Student Associationspearheaded a campaign to raise awareness of the issue. NYMC came under an immense pressure from the Westchester Countygovernment, as well as other academic institutions with which it had affiliations, including Pace UniversityLaw School. [Newman, Andy. [http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/31/nyregion/31catholic.html County Panel Says School Is Exempt From Bias Law] . New York Times. 31 March 2005.] The Student Government association of NYMC, the faculty Senate, and the American Medical Students Association all also passed resolutions in support of the Gay and Lesbian student group. After a year of focused pressure, the school restored funding to the group.
* American Medical Student Association Focus Online. October 2006. [http://www.amsa.org/news/focus/1006focus.cfm#1]
* Denina, Chris. "Gay Club Loses Touro OK." Vallejo Times-Herald 9 Sept. 2006: A1 [http://www.tugsa.net/bth7/06.09.09-VTH.htm]
* Buchanan, Wyatt. "Gay rights group's charter is revoked." San Francisco Chronicle 12 Sept 2006: B5. [http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/12/BAGSPL3NVR1.DTL]
* American Medical Student Association. 11 Sept. 2006: "Medical Students at TU to protest Abolition of Gay-Straight Alliance Group" [http://www.amsa.org/news/release2.cfx?id=278]
* Gay Lesbian Medical Association. 09 Sept. 2006: "GLMA Decries Decision by Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine to Ban Gay Straight Alliance Student Group." [http://www.glma.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Feature.showFeature&CategoryID=4&FeatureID=311]
* Cuestsa, Anthony. "California Med School Reinstates Gay Student Group After Protests." 247Gay.com. 14 Sept. 2006. [http://www.tugsa.net/bth7/search.htm]
* Denina, Chris. "Touro's provost says gay group wasn't dropped." Vallejo Times-Herald 12 Sept 2006: A1. [http://www.tugsa.net/bth7/06.09.12-VTH.htm]
* Buchanan, Wyatt. "Gay rights group not banned, school says." San Francisco Chronicle. 13 Sept 2006: B4. [http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/13/BABADIGEST22.DTL]
* American Medical Student Association. 13 Sept 2006: "Nation's Medical Students Applaud California Osteopathic Medical School's Affirmation of Gay-Straight Alliance." [http://www.amsa.org/news/release2.cfx?id=279]
* [http://www.tugsa.net Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance]
* [http://www.glma.org Gay-Lesbian Medical Association]
* [http://www.amsa.org/lgbt American Medical Student Association LGBT Action Committee]
* [http://www.touro.edu Touro College]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gay–straight alliance — Gay–straight alliances are student organizations, found primarily in North American high schools and universities, that are intended to provide a safe and supportive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth and their… … Wikipedia
Touro University California — NOTOC Infobox University name = native name = latin name = motto = To Serve, To Lead, To Teach. established =1997 type =Private endowment = staff = faculty = president =Bernard Lander provost =Harvey Kaye principal = rector = chancellor = vice… … Wikipedia
Lesbian and gay topics and Judaism — LGBT topics and Judaism redirects here. For transgender topics in Judaism, see Transgenderism and religion#Judaism. The subject of homosexuality in Judaism dates back to the Torah, in the books of Bereshit and Vayiqra. Bereshit (Genesis) treats… … Wikipedia
LGBT history — Gay Liberation monument in New York City LGBT history refers to the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) peoples and cultures around the world, dating back to the first recorded instances of same sex love and sexuality of… … Wikipedia
List of LGBT rights organizations — around the world. Note that some organizations support certain rights while opposing others. International * [http://www.gsani.org Gay Straight Alliance Network International] (GSANI) *International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA)… … Wikipedia
Queer Student Union — refers to multiple collegiate extracirricular groups which exist as a safe space for gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender college students. While none of the groups are formally tied together on an intercollegiate scale, many colleges and… … Wikipedia
Homosexuality and Judaism — The subject of homosexuality in Judaism dates back to the Biblical book of Leviticus. This describes sexual intercourse between males as an abomination that may be subject to capital punishment, although Halakhic courts are not authorized to… … Wikipedia
List of LGBT medical organizations — Australia*Australian Lesbian Medical AssociationGermany*Deutsches Institut für Jugend und Gesellchaft ( [http://www.dijg.de website] )Republic of Ireland*Gay Health Network ( [http://www.gayhealthnetwork.ie/home.html website] ) *Gay Men s Health… … Wikipedia
TUGSA — may mean the following:* Temple University Graduate Students Association * Touro University Gay Straight Alliance … Wikipedia
Альянсы геев и гетеросексуалов — Флаг альянса, новости, флаеры на доске объявлений школы Альянсы геев и гетеросексуалов (англ. Gay straight alliances, GSAs, «гей стрейт альянсы») это независимые от государства и школьных ад … Википедия