Type Subsidiary Industry Retail Founded 1673, Edo Honmachi (Nihonbashi Hongokuchō, Chūō, Tokyo), Japan Founder(s) Mitsui Takatoshi Headquarters 1-4-1 Nihonbashi-Muromachi, Chūō, Tokyo, Japan Parent Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd. (100%) Website mitsukoshi.co.jp (Japanese)
Mitsukoshi, Ltd. (株式会社三越 Kabushiki-gaisha Mitsukoshi ) (TYO: 2779 unlisted on March 26, 2008) is an international department store chain with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. Mitsukoshi Ltd. has amalgamated with Isetan Co.,Ltd ,and changed company name to Isetan Mitsukoshi Ltd.
It was founded in 1673 with the yagō (shop name) Echigoya (越後屋), selling kimonos. Ten years later in 1683, Echigoya took a new approach to marketing. Instead of selling by going door-to-door, they set up a store where buyers could purchase goods on the spot with cash. Mitsukoshimae Station on the Tokyo Metro is named after the adjacent Mitsukoshi department store. Mitsukoshi is the root of Mitsui group.
In the 1970's, Mitsukoshi bought the Oriental Nakamura department store in Nagoya and re-branded them as Mitsukoshi Nagoya.
In August 2007, it was announced that Mitsukoshi would merge into Isetan, a major department store in Japan. On April 1, 2008, Mitsukoshi and Isetan were merged under a joint holding company called Isetan Mitsukoshi Holdings Ltd. (TYO: 3099).
In Japan, there are a number of stores.
- These stores are managed by Isetan Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- These stores are managed by another Companies.
- Sapporo Store (Chūō-ku, Sapporo) 札幌店（札幌市中央区）-Sapporo Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Sendai Store (Aoba-ku, Sendai) 仙台店（仙台市青葉区）-Sendai Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Nagoya Sakae Main Branch (Naka-ku, Nagoya) 名古屋栄本店（名古屋市中区）-Nagoya Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Hoshigaoka Mitsukoshi (Chikusa-ku, Nagoya) 星ヶ丘三越（名古屋市千種区）-Nagoya Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Niigata Mitsukoshi (Nishibori-dōri) 新潟三越（新潟市西堀通）-Niigata Isetan Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- JR Osaka Isetan Mitsukoshi (Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka) JR大阪三越伊勢丹（大阪市北区梅田）
- Hiroshima Mitsukoshi (Naka-ku, Hiroshima) 広島三越（広島市中区）-Hiroshima Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Takamatsu Mitsukoshi (高松三越)-Takamatsu Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Matsuyama Mitsukoshi (松山三越)Matsuyama Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Fukuoka Mitsukoshi (Chūō-ku, Fukuoka) 福岡三越（福岡市中央区）-Iwataya Mitsukoshi Ltd.
- Closed Stores in Japan
- Taipei City:
- Dayou Road Store (大有店)
- Taoyuan Station Store (站前店)
- Chunghwa Road Store (中華店)
- Zhonggang Road Store (中港店)
- Chuiyang Road Store (垂楊店)
- Zhongshan Road Store (中山店)
- Ximen Road Store (西門店)
- Sanduo Shopping District Store (三多店)
- Zuoying District Store (左營店)
The stores in Taiwan are named Shin Kong-Mitsukoshi (新光三越), a collaboration between the Shin Kong Group (新光; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Sin-kong) and Mitsukoshi.
- Hong Kong (closed)
- Dalian closed at the end of the Second World War
- Shanghai (Okura Garden Hotel)
Mitsukoshi Hong Kong opened in 1981. It was first located at 500 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay. In June 2006, Mitsukoshi Ltd. announced the closure of its Hong Kong store on 17 September, 2006 due to the redevelopment of Hennessy Centre. The store was scheduled to relocate to another location in 2009, but Hong Kong Mitsukoshi has yet to re-open as of the end of 2010.
In 1930, Mitsukoshi opened their department store (京城三越) in downtown Seoul. After the liberation of Korea and the defeat of Japan in 1945, Samsung took over this store and was renamed Shinsegae (신세계; Shinsege; lit. New World).
- Rome (Via Nazionale)
- Orlando, Florida, United States (at Epcot's Japan Pavilion, which Mitsukoshi hosts and operates, Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Florida) 
- ^ http://www.mitsukoshi.co.jp/pc/corp/pdf/0070823.pdf 株式会社伊勢丹と株式会社三越との共同持株会社設立による 経営統合に関するお知らせ August 23, 2007 (in Japanese)
- ^ a b http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/h.php?news=mitsukoshi-to-close-six-stores-2008-09-26 Mitsukoshi to close six stores
- ^ a b http://www.mitsukoshi.co.jp/store/world.html (in Japanese, translation) lists only the London and Roma store remaining in Europe. It lists the Shanghai store.
- ^ Mitsukoshi Cultural Representative Program http://www.tcw.jp/disney/en/index.html
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.