company_name=Capcom Company, Limited
May 30, 1979
San Mateo, California, USA
(HQ & Studios)
AsiaHQ: Hong Kong EuropeHQ: United Kingdom
Germany, England, Canada
revenue = profit¥74.542 billion (2006) [cite web|url=http://www.square-enix.com/jp/ir/e/data/financial/download/tanshin_070523en.pdf|title=Financial Results for Fiscal Year Ended March 31, 2006 ]
net_income = loss¥5.852 billion (2006)|num_employees=1,206
Kenzo Tsujimoto, CEO Yoshiki Okamoto Tokuro Fujiwara Shinji Mikami Keiji Inafune
Devil May Cry
Breath of Fire Darkstalkers Final Fight
Marvel vs. Capcom
SNK vs. Capcom
(See complete products listing.)
homepage = http://www.capcom.com
:"For the original
NASAmeaning, see capsule communicator."
nihongo|Capcom Co., Ltd.|株式会社カプコン|Kabushiki-gaisha Kapukon|extra=tyo|9697 is a leading
Japanese internationaldeveloper and publisher of video games headquartered in Osaka, Japan. It was founded in 1979 as Japan Capsule Computers, a company devoted to the manufacturing and distribution of electronic game machines.
According to Capcom,"The name CAPCOM is an abbreviation of CAPsule COMputer. This was a phrase symbolic of an internal company objective to create a new gaming experience that would exceed that of rival personal computers which had also been increasing in popularity during the same period." [ [http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/company/name.html CAPCOM | Origin of "Capcom" Name ] ]
Over the years, Capcom has created some of the biggest and longest running franchises in video gaming history. The company released their first
arcade gamein 1984: " Vulgus". Their early games were mostly arcade games such as the scrolling shooter"1942".
In the late 1980s,
Yoshiki Okamotojoined the company from Konami. In 1987, Capcom released the game "Street Fighter". Also in 1987, the company released the platformer "Mega Man" ("Rockman" in Japan) for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
Breath of Fire", Capcom's first major foray into the RPG genre, was released in 1994 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
"Resident Evil" ("Biohazard" in Japan), a successful
survival horror, was released on the PlayStationin 1996.
Two Capcom development houses,
Clover Studio[ [http://games.ign.com/objects/674/674345.html IGN: Clover Studio ] ] and Flagship [ [http://games.ign.com/objects/027/027402.html IGN: Flagship (JP) ] ] have created successful titles in recent years, including the " Viewtiful Joe" series and " Okami.
In 2002 a movie based on the series entitled "Resident Evil" was released, which did well enough financially to warrant a sequel (') in 2004. A third movie, ' was released on
September 21, 2007, and led the box office in first place.
Capcom also teamed up with Microsoft to make the successful "Dead Rising" in 2006, which was a popular zombie survival and adventure game and timed exclusive for the Xbox 360. However, a Wii-version is currently in production.
Beside developing games under its own brand, Capcom also developed the arcade, Dreamcast and PS2 versions of its
Mobile Suit Gundamthird person shoot em ups for Banprestoand also distribute many games including the Grand Theft Autoseries for the Japanese market.
As of mid-2007, Capcom teamed up with
Valve Corporationto release games through Valve's "Steam" content delivery system, being the first Japanese company to do so. [ [http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/12/capcom-gets-steam-power/ "Joystiq" article: Capcom Gets Steam Power] ] At present, only three games are available, those being ', ', and "".
mascot, Captain Commando, is a superherowho wears a futuristic armor of unknown origin. His name forms the word Capcom when the first syllable of each word is combined in the Japanese abbreviation way. He originally appeared in the early Capcom Famicom/NES game " Section Z" (the arcade version of "Section Z" has similar gameplay, but it is not clear that the hero is the same person). Along with that, he appeared in the manuals and the back covers of Capcom's early NES games to thank players for purchasing them. He also appeared in the self named beat em upgame, " Captain Commando", in 1991. He later appeared in "Marvel vs. Capcom" and Marvel vs. Capcom 2, in which he is often considered to be an excessively powerful character. In "Marvel vs. Capcom", he still serves as a mascot, regularly shouting "Capcom!" during fights and relaying Capcom-themed messages after winning. He displays the ability to quickly change from regular clothing, including a cowboy hat, into his armor, suggesting a secret identity. Captain Commando's storyline is not connected to that of "Commando" and " Bionic Commando", despite the similar name.
Mega Man has superseded Captain Commando as Capcom's official mascot, primarily because of the immense popularity of the "Mega Man" series.
Also, Ryu of the "
Street Fighter" series is one of the more prominent Capcom characters and is not only the face of Capcom's fighting games, but is generally associated with the fighting genre.
The Yashichi is an item found in many Capcom video games. It often restores the player's health or acts as a bonus point item. The symbol is a red circle decorated with a stylised white cross that resembles a pinwheel.
The item appeared first in 1984, in Capcom's first title, "
Vulgus", as an enemy (it was also featured in Capcom's fifth title, " Exed Exes", in a similar role). It also appeared in "Mega Man" ("Rockman" in Japan) as an item which fully restored health and weapon energy. Since then, it has been featured in many other games in a far more benign role.
Capcom Production Studios
Each Capcom Production Studio is the developer behind Capcom's games. The studios are divided into different sections and named after numbers, except for the independent
Clover Studio(now defunct) and Flagship which is funded by Capcom of Japan.
=Subsidiaries and related corporations=
* Capcom Entertainment, Inc.
Capcom USA, Inc.was established in Californiaas the official North American subsidiary of Capcom in August 1985.
* Capcom Asia Co., Ltd. was established in
Hong Kongas the official Asian subsidiary of Capcom in July 1993.
* Capcom Eurosoft Ltd. was established in
United Kingdomas the official European subsidiary of Capcom in July 1998.
* KOKO Capcom Asia Co., Ltd. the official South Korean subsidiary of Capcom in July 2001.
* CE Europe Ltd. was established in
Londonin November 2002.
* CEG Interactive Entertainment GmbH was established in
Germanyin February 2003.
* Capcom Interactive Canada is a division of Capcom and their focus is developing games for mobile platforms.
* Capcom Charbo Co., Ltd. manages the rental, maintenance and lease of electronic game machines.
* Captron Co., Ltd. manages the rent, lease and operation of real estate properties.
* Suleputer was established to market and distribute games and related merchandising (
books, music, anime, etc.) in Asia. Their current name is a conjunction of Capsule Computer.
Nude MakerCo., Ltd. is the development studio that made Clock Tower 1, 2 games on the PlayStation and Xbox and Steel Battalion only available on the Xbox.
Nintendo AustraliaPty Ltd, the Australian subsidiary of Nintendo Co., Ltd. is the main distributor for a majority of Capcom's products in Australia for Nintendo Consoles nd source Capcom's products from the UK due to the PAL situation, and Nintendo Australia will continue to do so because DVB-T, 1 digital television format that will replace PAL in Australia in 2012 is shared with the UK.
* Ubisoft Australia Ltd distributes some of Capcom's products in Australia.
* Red Ant Enterprises Pty Ltd distributes Capcom's lower end games in Australia.
* Capcom Studio 8, Inc. was established as the
R&Ddivision of Capcom USA, Inc. in June 1995. The studio was closed in 2006. This studio is known for made "Maximo" series (' and " Maximo vs. Army of Zin") and '.
* Flagship Co., Ltd. was the development studio that made "
Onimusha" and the "Zelda" games on the Game Boy Colorand Game Boy Advance. Its final game release was "" in 2006. It was absorbed into Capcom's main studio in June 2007.
Clover StudioCo., Ltd. was a development studio based in Osaka. It was founded in July 2004, and was dissolved in March 2007. They created the "Viewtiful Joe" series, as well as "Okami" and "God Hand".
PlatinumGamesis a new studio comprised of former Clover Studio employees. It was formerly known as SEEDS. [http://www.seeds-inc.jp/] It is not part of Capcom and they have a publishing agreement with Sega. [ [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/15/sega-announces-platinum-games-partnership-first-three-games/ Sega announces Platinum Games partnership, first three games - Joystiq ] ]
Arikaformed in 1996 by former Capcom employees. The name of the company is the reverse of the name of the company's founder, Akira Nishitani, who (along with Akiman) created Street Fighter II. First game was Street Fighter EX and new properties of their own are Everblue and Endless Ocean.
* Nickel City is a chain of
video arcadesonce owned by Capcom where the machines ran on nickels or on free play. It was sold in 2004 and continues to operate under independent ownership.
Influence in general media
Capcom's games and characters therein have been featured in a number of anime, cartoons, theatrical movies, etc. Some of which include:
* The company mascot, Mega Man, played a supporting role in a
Nintendoinspired TV-show "" and has later been featured in three separate cartoons: "Mega Man" produced by Ruby-Spears, and the two anime series " MegaMan NT Warrior" and "Mega Man Star Force". He also starred in originally released in Japan in 1993, released later on DVD in North America, and the "NT Warrior" anime series spawned a 48-minute feature film (only in Japan) entitled "Rockman EXE: The Program of Light and Dark", Mega Man's first ever appearance on the big-screen.
* "Street Fighter II" has also been a popular source for films, anime, and cartoons. A popular was made, followed by live action adaptation, both in 1994. Shortly afterwards, two different animated series, a Japanese series and an American series were produced in 1995.
* The fighting game "
Darkstalkers" was made into two animated adaptations, in Japan and in the United States.
* Another fighting game, Power Stone, saw an anime adaptation.
* So far the most successful series of films has been based on Capcom's popular survivor horror series "Resident Evil". The first film was received well at the box office, earning a solid 102 million worldwide. Its VHS and DVD sales were even stronger leading Screen Gems and Sony to make , which also proved to be a financial success. The third and final part "" was released in Fall 2007.
* An anime series based on "Viewtiful Joe" was made in 2004. It consists of 52 episodes and is based loosely around the first and second games. It features new characters, such as
Captain Blue Jr.and Sprocket, who were later introduced into the GameCube and PSP game, "". Viewtiful Joe the anime series used to air on Kids' WB! on Saturdays at 8:00 AM, and later 11:30 AM but was cancelled shortly before the network changed to The CW.
* An anime based on the series "Devil May Cry" aired in Japan for 12 episodes. It was handled by Madhouse. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_(anime)]
* Three films based upon the Capcom franchises "
Devil May Cry" [ [http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/422/422228p1.html IGN: Games-to-Film: Devil May Cry ] ] , "Clock Tower" [ [http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/714/714032p1.html IGN: Clock Tower: The Movie ] ] and (Resident Evil) are currently in production and scheduled to be released in 2008.
* A manga version of the courtroom drama action series "" is being produced in Japan [ [http://www.court-records.net/manga.htm The Official GS Manga! ] ] .
List of Capcom games
List of Japanese companies
* " [http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/company/address.html CAPCOM: Corporate Profile: Capcom Group] ."
December 27, 2004. Accessed on March 6, 2006.
* " [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/company/history.html CAPCOM: Corporate Profile: Corporate History] ." Accessed on
June 20, 2005.
* " [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/index.html CAPCOM: Financial Information] ." Accessed on
June 20, 2005.
* [http://www.capcom.com/ Capcom Global]
* [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ Capcom World Japan] , Capcom Japan's official site.
* [http://shop.capcom.com/ Capcom US]
* [http://www.capcom-europe.com/index.aspx Capcom-Europe]
* [http://www.capcomasia.com.hk/newsite/home.php Capcom Asia]
* [http://www.capcomkorea.com/ Capcom World Korea] , Capcom Korea's official site.
* [http://www.mobygames.com/company/capcom-entertainment-inc MobyGame's entry on Capcom]
* [http://www.capcom-central.com/ Capcom-Central.com - Capcom games]
* [http://www.capcomdatabase.wikia.com/ Capcom Database Wiki]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Capcom — Co., Ltd. Тип Акционерное общес … Википедия
Capcom — Co., Ltd. . Logo officiel de la société Capcom Création 30 mai 1979 Dates clés 1979 Personnages clés … Wikipédia en Français
Capcom — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Capcom (カプコン en japonés) TYO: 9697 es una empresa japonesa desarrolladora y distribuidora de videojuegos. Fue fundada en 1979 como Japan Capsule Computers, una empresa dedicada a la fabricación y distribución de… … Wikipedia Español
Capcom — (カプコン) es una empresa japonesa desarrolladora y distribuidora de software en el campo de los videojuegos … Enciclopedia Universal
Capcom ZN-2 — ZN 2 Le ZN 2 est un système d arcade destiné aux salles d arcade, créé par la société japonaise Sony. Sa commercialisation a débuté durant l année 1997. Sommaire 1 Description 2 Spécifications techniques 2.1 Processeur central … Wikipédia en Français
Capcom zn-2 — ZN 2 Le ZN 2 est un système d arcade destiné aux salles d arcade, créé par la société japonaise Sony. Sa commercialisation a débuté durant l année 1997. Sommaire 1 Description 2 Spécifications techniques 2.1 Processeur central … Wikipédia en Français
Capcom ZN-1 — ZN 1 Le ZN 1 est un système d arcade destiné aux salles d arcade, créé par la société japonaise Sony. Sa commercialisation a débutée durant l année 1995. Sommaire 1 Description 2 Spécifications techniques 2.1 Processeur central … Wikipédia en Français
Capcom zn-1 — ZN 1 Le ZN 1 est un système d arcade destiné aux salles d arcade, créé par la société japonaise Sony. Sa commercialisation a débutée durant l année 1995. Sommaire 1 Description 2 Spécifications techniques 2.1 Processeur central … Wikipédia en Français
Capcom — Logo von Capcom Capcom (jap. 株式会社カプコン, Kabushiki kaisha Kapukon), ist ein japanischer Videospielentwickler und publisher mit Sitz in Ōsaka. Vertretungen existieren in Sunnyvale, London und Hongkong. Di … Deutsch Wikipedia
CapCom — Stephen Robinson als Capcom während STS 103 Ein Capsule Communicator (Capcom) ist in der bemannten Raumfahrt der Verbindungssprecher zwischen den im All befindlichen Astronauten und der Bodenstation. Mit Beginn der bemannten Raumfahrt war es… … Deutsch Wikipedia