- West Suffolk
infobox historic subdivision
Name= West Suffolk
Bury St. Edmunds
West Suffolk was an
administrative countyof Englandcreated in 1889 from part of the county of Suffolk. It survived until 1974 when it was rejoined with East Suffolk. Its county town was Bury St. Edmunds.
Before the introduction of
county councils, Suffolkhad been divided into eastern and western divisions, each with their own quarter sessions. The western division corresponded to the Liberty of Saint Edmund. This area had been established by Edward the Confessorin 1044 and was a separate jurisdiction under the control of the abbot of Bury St Edmundsuntil the dissolution of the monasteries.
This history was reflected in the
coat of armsof the county council. The council initially adopted the attributed arms of Edward the Confessor: a cross patonce between five martlets. When the council received an official grant of arms from the College of Armsin 1959, abbots' mitres and the emblem of St Edmund: crossed arrows through an open crown were added. The mottoadopted was "For King, Law and People", referring to the association of Magna Cartawith Bury.
Shortly before its abolition the West Suffolk County Council commissioned
Elizabeth Frinkto sculpt a staue of St Edmundto commemorate the end of 970 years of independent administration of the area. The statue, in the grounds of the abbey of Bury St Edmunds, was completed in 1976.
From 1894 the administrative county was divided into
municipal boroughs, urban districts and rural districts:
Bury St Edmunds, Sudbury
Glemsford(created 1896, abolished 1935), Hadleigh, Haverhill, Newmarket
*Rural districts: Brandon (abolished 1935), Clare,
Cosford, Melford, Mildenhall, Moulton (abolished 1935), Thedwastre, Thingoe
The rural districts were further subdivided into
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.