- Gracechurch Street
Gracechurch Street is a street in the
City of London, and forms part of the A10.
It starts in the south of the City, near
Wren's Monument to the Great Fire of London, at a junction with King William Street, Eastcheapand Cannon Street. It heads north, crossing Lombard Street/ Fenchurch Street, until it becomes Bishopsgate.
The word "Gracechurch" derives from "Garscherchestrete", "Gres-cherch" and "Gras-cherche" with "Gracechurch" not being in use until after the destruction of the street in the
Great Fire of London. The street is in the heart of Roman "Londinium"; it runs directly over the site of the basilicaand forum.
In medieval times a corn market was held by
St. Benet Gracechurch(a church destroyed in the Fire) at the junction of Gracechurch Street with Fenchurch Street and Lombard Street with vendors being directed to sell their wares there. The existence of such markets can be seen from the derivation of their names, "gaers" or "gers" meaning a blade of grass or herb and "faenum" meaning hay.
Quakershad an Meeting House on Gracechurch Street until the 1821, when it burned down [ [http://www.n16mag.com/issue35/19.htm "A Friendly Society" by Peter Daniels] in "N16 Magazine" Issue 35 Autumn 2007] ] ; William Pennwas arrested on August 14, 1670for delivering a sermon in the street in front of the building after having been forbidden to preach indoors.
Gracechurch Street is mentioned in
Jane Austen's " Pride and Prejudice" as being the home of the Mr and Mrs Gardiner, the aunt and uncle of the five Bennet sisters. The former Swan-with-Two-Necks inn is the scene of Estella's meeting with Pip in Dickens' " Great Expectations".
* [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=6505 Centre for Metropolitan History, "A Dictionary of London", 1918]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.