- Ben Myers
Ben Myers (born 1976 in
Durham) is an English author, poet and music journalist.
As a teenager he began writing for British weekly
Melody Maker. As a freelance journalist he has written for publications such as " Mojo", " The Guardian"," Alternative Press", " Kerrang!", " Time Out", "Q", " PlayLouder", " Plan B',"'Careless Talk Costs Lives", and published a number of music biographies and one collection of journalism. In the US he is published by Disinformation.
Ben Myers' first novel "
The Book Of Fuck", a fictionalised account about a hapless music journalist, was published to acclaim in 2004 through Wrecking Ball Press. The novel drew comparisons to the likes of Charles Bukowski, Hunter S Thompsonand J. P. Donleavy.
Myers' has written a number of music biographies which have been published in the United Kingdom, United States, Finland, Germany, Italy and Russia.
Tony O'Neilland Adelle Stripe he founded The Brutalist poetry movement in 2006, and co-authored the 2008 collection Nowhere Fast. He is also author of a forthcoming poetry collection entitled 'Spam: E-mail Inspired Poems', to be published by Blackheath Books in 2008.
Ben Myers' second novel The Missing Kidney is forthcoming in 2008 through Social Disease.
Ben Myers also ran the independent record label Captains of Industry from 2003 to 2008. Bands he released included
Gay For Johnny Depp, Kinesis, Hell Is For Heroesand Marmaduke Duke.
Titles by Ben Myers include :
The Book Of Fuck" (Wrecking Ball Press, 2004)" The Missing Kidney" (Social Disease, 2008)
PoetryNowhere Fast (co-written with Tony O'Neill and Adelle Stripe (COI, 2008)Spam: Email Inspired Poems (Blackheath, 2008)
Non-FictionAmerican Heretics: Rebel Voices In Music (Codex, 2002)
*"Muse : Inside the Muscle Museum" (IMP 2004 and 2007)
Green Day: American Idiots and the New Punk Explosion" (IMP / Disinformation, 2005)
John Lydon: The Sex Pistols, Pil and Anti-Celebrity" (2005)
System of a Down: Right Here In Hollywood" (IMP / Disinformation, 2006)
*Myers, Ben. "Green Day : American Idiots & The New Punk Explosion". 1st American ed. New York, NY : Disinformation Co., 2006. ISBN 1-932857-32-X
* [http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/arts//author//ben_myers/profile.html Ben Myers' Guardian articles and profile]
* [http://www.benmyers.com/ Ben Myers] Official Website.
* [http://www.captainsof.com/ Captains Of Industry] record label.
* [http://www.3ammagazine.com/musicarchives/2004/aug/interview_ben_myers.html 3:AM magazine: Interview with Ben Myers, August 2004]
* [http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/music/interviews/563 Caught in the Crossfire: Interview with Ben Myers]
* [http://hodmandod5.blogspot.com/2007/03/ben-myres-diy-punk-spirit.html Scarecrow: Interview with Ben Myers]
* [http://www.bookmunch.co.uk/view.php?id=1738 Ben Myers on Travis Jeppesen]
* [http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/07/the_rise_and_rise_of_the_bruta.html Ben Myers and The Brutalist poets, article in The Guardian, 2007]
* [http://everydayyeah.com/content/interview-mr-myers An interview with Ben Myers (www.everydayyeah.com)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.