Providence Plantations


Providence Plantations

Providence Plantations was the first permanent settlement in Rhode Island. It was established at Providence in 1636 by English clergyman Roger Williams and a small band of followers who had left the repressive atmosphere of the Massachusetts Bay Colony to seek freedom of worship. Narragansett sachems Canonicus and Miantonomi granted Williams a sizable tract of land for his new village. [http://www.sec.state.ri.us/library/riinfo/know-rhode-island/]

"Providence Plantations" refers to the mainland portion of the state which was originally all part of the town of Providence and "Rhode Island" referring to Aquidneck Island on which Newport is located. Today, the state is officially named "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations," although "Providence Plantations" is little used.

ee also

*Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
*Rhode Island


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.