University of Advancing TechnologyTranslation
- University of Advancing Technology
name = University of Advancing Technology
established = 1983
city = Tempe
country = USA
undergrad = Appx 1,200
postgrad = Appx 50
campus = Urban, Less than 20 acres
mascot = Pirates or Ninjas.
colors = Red, Black, Silver
website= [http://www.uat.edu/ http://www.UAT.edu]
University of Advancing Technology (UAT) is a for-profit, family owned institution of
higher educationlocated in Tempe, Arizonaas a single campus. Founded in 1983, UAT is a high tech universitywith multiple areas of study in technical fields, while retaining liberal arts requirements in the Fine Arts and Humanities. Sometimes misunderstood to be a vocational school due to the history of their offerings in a vocational context, UAT purports a general education comparable to typical universities such as Arizona State University, with specific emphasis on how its specialized mission integrates technology into its general education requirements. The institution offers unique core classes (e.g., Information Research Strategies, Technology and Society, Project Management, Intellectual Property Law), as well as all traditional ones.
An independent institution, UAT's mission is to educate students in the fields of advancing technology to become innovators of the future. The university's goals are to foster knowledge and maintain academic excellence in an environment embracing modern technology. Students learn how technology has evolved, so that they may participate in its evolution.
The institution is made up of four colleges:
[http://uat.edu/academics/college_of_multimedia.aspx The College of Multimedia]
[http://uat.edu/academics/college_of_software_engineering.aspx The College of Software Engineering]
[http://uat.edu/academics/college_of_techcommerce.aspx The College of Technology Commerce]
[http://uat.edu/academics/graduate_studies.aspx The Graduate College of Applied Technology]
In addition, the institution has an online college: [http://uat.edu/admissions/uat_online.aspx UAT-Online]
Founded in 1983, the institution later named the University of Advancing Technology received accreditation in 1987 by
ACECTat the diploma and occupational associate’s level. First known as the CAD Institute, it offered classes in computer aided design. In 1992, CAD Institute shifted to a new accrediting agency, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), which certified it as a junior college. In 1996, it was accredited as a four-year institution. That same year, the CAD Institute began offering educational programs outside the CAD focus. This first non-CAD program was successful, developing into what is now the Multimedia College.
The CAD name was retired in August 1996, and the institution was renamed the University of Advancing Computer Technology (UACT). In 1997, UACT launched a Software Engineering program. In 1998, UACT moved to the present campus in Tempe, Arizona. Also in 1998, UACT received approval from ACICS to offer a
Master of Sciencein Technology degree. In 2000, it received approval to offer online courses.
The University of Advancing Computer Technology removed the word “computer” from its name in 2002 in recognition that computer technology had evolved beyond the personal computer to encompass all devices that communicate, manage information, and provide connections through all media, including the Internet. [The history of UAT: ( [http://uat.edu/history History of The University of Advancing Technology)] ]
Accreditations, Authorizations and Approvals
The current accreditation is at the national level as certified by the ACICS from the
U.S. Department of Education. As of 2007, UAT is a Candidate with The Higher Learning Commissionand an affiliate of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
UAT was designated a Center of Academic Excellence by the National Centers of Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE) sponsored by the U.S. National Security Agency and the Homeland Security Department.
Network Security programs certified by the US National Security Agency's Information Assurance Courseware Evaluation program for 4011 CNSS National Standard for Information Systems Security (INFOSEC) Professionals and 4013 National Standard for System Administrators in Information Systems Security(INFOSEC).
College of Multimedia: Bachelor of Arts and Associate of Arts in Multimedia
* [http://uat.edu/majors/digital_animation.aspx Digital Animation]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/digital_art_and_design.aspx Digital Art and Design]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/digital_video.aspx Digital Video]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/game_art.aspx Game Art and Animation]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/game_design.aspx Game Design]
College of Software Engineering: Bachelor of Science and Associate of Science in Software Engineering
* [http://uat.edu/majors/a-life_programming.aspx Artificial Life Programming]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/computer_forensics.aspx Computer Forensics]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/game_programming.aspx Game Programming]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/network_engineering.aspx Network Engineering]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/network_security.aspx Network Security]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/robotics.aspx Robotics and Embedded Systems]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/software_engineering.aspx Software Engineering]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/web_architecture.aspx Web Architecture]
College of Technology Commerce: Bachelor of Science and Associate of Science in Technology Commerce
* [http://uat.edu/majors/technology_management.aspx Technology Management]
Graduate College of Applied Technology: Master of Science in Technology
* [http://uat.edu/majors/graduate_a-life.aspx Artificial Life Programming]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/graduate_game_production.aspx Game Production]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/graduate_information_security.aspx Information Security]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/graduate_swe.aspx Software Engineering]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/graduate_technology_management.aspx Technology Management]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/graduate_tech_study.aspx Technology Studies]
The College of Multimedia: Bachelor of Arts or Associate of Arts in Multimedia
* [http://uat.edu/majors/digital_animation_online.aspx Digital Animation]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/game_art_online.aspx Game Art and Animation]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/game_design_online.aspx Game Design]
The College of Software Engineering: Bachelor of Science or Associate of Science in Software Engineering
* [http://uat.edu/majors/game_programming_online.aspx Game Programming]
* [http://uat.edu/majors/network_security_online.aspx Network Security]
*George Throp Memorial
*Advancing Technology Award
*Women in Technology
*Karrlin Field Memorial Scholarship
Throughout the year, UAT coordinates and subsidizes student trips to the technology industry's top conferences, fun excursions and industry tours. All Student Trips are chaperoned by UAT staff and faculty members. Students get first-hand experience with two very important aspects of life in any profession by attending industry-trade shows and exhibitions and academic conferences.
Recent Student Trips:
Game Developers Conference (GDC)
Student Clubs (as of Spring 2008)
*Ancient Games Club
*Demolition Films, Short Film Club/Crew
*LAN Committee, organizing video gaming paradises once a month
*Martial Arts Club
*NurF WarZ, hosting bi-weekly
Counter-Strike-esque events on campus
*Quarter Circle Forward (QCF)
*T.C.G.C (Trading Card Game Club)
*Web Development Club
Phoenix Java User Group
Phoenix PC User Group
Phoenix Cold Fusion Group
Phoenix Linux Users Group
UAT hosts a bi-annual [http://www.uat.edu/techforum technology forum] that features guest speakers from emerging technology fields as well as traditional technology fields such as software engineering and programming.
In 2003, a group of students from the UAT Web Club won the Governor's Tourism Award for Web Marketing/Technical Marketing for its work on improving and updating the website for the Boyce-Thompson Arboretum.
On 28 December 2006, a student currently enrolled at UAT was interviewed on
All Things Consideredon National Public Radio, about social technologies.
On February 16, 2007, Dean of Academic Affairs Rebecca Whitehead was interviewed on WoW Things Considered, a
World of Warcraft-oriented internet radio show hosted by World of Warcraft Radio. She was interviewed regarding her new college-credit Leadership course at the university, led entirely within the World of Warcraft. The file can be accessed here [http://www.wcradio.com/archive/farmstatus/wow-wtc-02-16-2007.mp3] .
* [http://uat.edu/academics/journal_of_advancing_technology.aspx Journal of Advancing Technology (JAT)]
* [http://uat.edu/tv UAT TV]
* [http://uat.edu/showcase Student Works]
* [http://uat.edu/techforum Tech Forum]
* [http://www.uat.edu/ UAT website]
* [http://www.gamedegree.com/ UAT game degree website]
* [http://www.networksecuritydegree.com/ UAT networking degree website]
* [http://www.artificiallifedegree.com/ UAT artificial life degree website]
* [http://www.uat.edu/admissions/scholarships.aspx UAT scholarships page]
Notes and references
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
University of Electronic Science and Technology of China — (UESTC) 电子科技大学 Motto 大气大为，求真务实 Motto in English Vision, perspiration, facts and truth … Wikipedia
University of Texas at Austin — University of Texas redirects here. For the university system, see University of Texas System. The University of Texas at Austin Motto Disciplina praesidium civitatis (Latin) Motto in En … Wikipedia
University of Massachusetts Amherst — Seal of the University of Massachusetts Motto Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem Motto in English By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty … Wikipedia
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee — Established 1885, 1956 (details) Type Public Endowment … Wikipedia
University of Texas at Dallas — Infobox University name = University of Texas at Dallas motto = Disciplina praesidium civitatis (Latin: Cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy) [cite web url=http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/history.htm#C title=History of the U. T. System … Wikipedia
University of Toronto — This article is about the university s main campus. For other uses, see University of Toronto (disambiguation). University of Toronto Latin: Universitas Torontonensis Motto Velut arbor ævo ( … Wikipedia
University of Toledo — Infobox University name = The University of Toledo motto = Coadyuvando El Presente, Formando El Porvenir (Spanish for Guide to the Present, Moulder of the Future ) established = 1872 type = Public president = Dr. Lloyd A. Jacobs city = Toledo… … Wikipedia
University of Maryland School of Public Policy — Maryland School of Public Policy Established 1981 Type Public … Wikipedia
University of the Immaculate Conception — Infobox University name = University of the Immaculate Conception native name = Pamantasan ng Immaculate Conception founder = Ignacia del Espiritu Santo motto = Initium Sapientiae Timor Domini ( The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. )… … Wikipedia
University of Lahore — Infobox University name =The University of Lahore established =1999 type =Private endowment = staff = faculty =200 chancellor = rector =Dr. M. H. Qazi chairman =M. A. Raoof pro rector = registrar = students =3,400 undergrad = postgrad = doctoral … Wikipedia
- Trunks Under the Ground., 1971 — The film tells about the subway systems of five Soviet cities – Moscow, Leningrad, Kiev, Tbilisi and Baku, and their technical equipment.