- Bjarne Stroustrup
name = Bjarne Stroustrup
caption = Bjarne Stroustrup
birth_date = birth date and age|1950|12|30
occupation = College of Engineering Chair in Computer Science Professor,
Texas A&M University
website = [http://www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html Personal Page]
known_for = Creating
Bjarne Stroustrup (IPA|/'bjɑːnə 'sdʁʌʊ̯ˀsdʁɔb/ ; born
December 30, 1950in Aarhus, Denmark) is a computer scientistand the College of Engineering Chair Professor of Computer Scienceat Texas A&M University. He is most notable for developing the C++ programming language. A rough English attempt at pronunciation of his name would be "B-yar-ne Strov-stroop" [ [http://www.research.att.com/~bs/pronounciation.wav research.att.com: audio (WAV) file on how to pronounce Bjarne's name] ] .
Stroustrup began developing C++ in 1979 (then called "C with Classes"), and, in his own words, "invented C++, wrote its early definitions, and produced its first implementation... chose and formulated the design criteria for C++, designed all its major facilities, and was responsible for the processing of extension proposals in the C++ standards committee." ["The C++ Programming Language", B. Stroustrup, p.10] Stroustrup also wrote what many consider to be the standard text for the language, "
The C++ Programming Language", which is now in its third edition. The text has been revised twice to reflect the evolution of the language and the work of the C++ standards committee.
Stroustrup has a "cand. scient." (the Danish equivalent to a
master's degree) in mathematicsand computer science(1975) from the University of Aarhus, Denmark, and a Ph.D. in computer science (1979) from the University of Cambridge, England. He was the head of AT&T Lab's Large-scale Programming Research department, from its creation until late 2002. Stroustrup was elected member of The National Academy of Engineering in 2004. He is a Fellow of the ACM (1994) and an IEEEFellow. He currently works at Texas A&M Universityas a Professor where he holds the College of Engineering Chair in Computer Science. [ [http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bio.html Bjarne Stroustrup: Some Information about Bjarne Stroustrup] ]
*1993 - ACM
Grace Murray Hopper Award
*2004 - IEEE Computer Society 2004
Computer Entrepreneur Award
*2005 - William Procter Prize for Scientific Achievement
*2008 - Dr. Dobb's Excellence in Programming award.
The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup - Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 3rd edition (February 15, 2000); ISBN 0-201-70073-5
The Design and Evolution of C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup - Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (March 29, 1994); ISBN 0-201-54330-3
The Annotated C++ Reference Manual" by Margaret A. Ellis& Bjarne Stroustrup - Addison-Wesley Pub Co; (January 1, 1990); ISBN 0-201-51459-1
=External links= wikiquote
* [http://www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html Bjarne Stroustrup's homepage]
* [http://parasol.tamu.edu/people/bs/ Bjarne Stroustrup's Texas A&M homepage]
* [http://www.att.com/attlabs/other/stroustrup_sm.mov Meet Bjarne Stroustrup (Video)]
* [http://public.research.att.com/~bs/interviews.html List of interviews with Bjarne Stroustrup]
* [http://www.chunder.com/text/ididit.html A Hoax interview transcript with IEEE's "Computer" magazine.] ( [http://artlung.com/smorgasborg/Invention_of_Cplusplus.shtml alternative] )
* [http://public.research.att.com/~bs/ieee_interview.pdf The Real Stroustrup Interview (IEEE's "Computer" magazine June 1998)] ( [http://www.research.att.com/~bs/ieee_interview.html alternative] )
* [http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;408408016;fp;4194304;fpid;1 Computerworld Interview with Bjarne Stroustrup]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.