- Aitchison College
Aitchison College is a semi-private boys' boarding
university-preparatory schoollocated in Lahore, Punjab, in Pakistan. Aitchison College is the descendant of the wards’ School at Ambala and the Chiefs’ Colleges.The college sprawls on a convert|200|acre|km2|sing=on campus, located in the heart of the city of Lahore.
Aitchison College was established on
November 3 1886, when the cornerstone of the school was laid by Frederick Hamilton-Temple-Blackwood, Earl of Dufferin, at the time Governor-General of India. The college was named after Charles Umpherston Aitchison, lieutenant governorof the Punjab at the time of the college's establishment. Starting off as a purely boarding school with one main teaching block, the college has evolved into an institution with a multitude of facilities.
Addressing the boys in 1888 Sir Charles Aitchison said
In undivided India,along with
Colvin Taluqdars' Collegein Lucknowand Mayo Collegein Ajmer,it was regarded as the most prestigious public school in the Indian plains. The College motto reads:
(For day-to-day life in its early days see
Historical log of Aitchison College)
Organization and curriculum
Aitchison College is divided into three schools:
*Junior School (Grades 1-5)
*Prep School (Grades 6-8)
*Senior School (Grades 9-13)
Each school is subdivided into houses that have members from each grade of that school. Houses are designed to promote inter-house competitions and
mentor shipopportunities, led by prefects and house masters.
The Senior School offers two types of diplomas/certifications, following the British
UCLESsystem. These are the School Certificate/O-level (grades 9 through 11) and the Higher School Certificate/A-level (grades 12 & 13).
Fluency in English is the prime criterion for admission in the college. The minimum requirement for 'A' Levels admission is 8 A's and at least a 'B' in English (only in a single attempt) at GCE 'O' Level. The matriculation curriculum was also until 2002 available to students who did not wish to pursue the UK Board examinations. It was cancelled by Principal Shamim Khan when the Campus Girls' High School inside the College (for the daughters of the staff) achieved a better Matriculation result than the students of the college.
Sardar Farooq Ahmed Khan LeghariChief of the Baluch Legharitribe, President of Pakistan.
Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali, former Prime Minister of Pakistan
Nawab Iftikhar Ali Khan, Nawab of Pataudi.
Maharaja Bhupinder Singh, Maharaja of Patiala.
Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan, Nawab of Bahawalpur, Governor of Punjab.
Mansoor Ali Khan, Nawab of Pataudi
Nawabzada Sher Ali Khan Pataudi
Lieutenant-General(Rtd)Ali Kuli Khan Khattak .
* Nawab Zulfiqar Ali Khan Mamdot, younger brother of Nawab of Mamdot
Nawab Khair Buksh Khan Marri, Chief of Marri Tribe
MaharajaSir Harindar Singh Brar Bans Bahadur Rajaof Faridkot State.
* Raja Baldev Inder Singh of Shiekhupura
* Raja Jogendra Singh of
Nalagarh Princely State
* Kanwar Prithvijit Singh, ruler of the
princely stateof Kapurthala
* Hon. Raja Sir Daljit Singh, ruler of the
princely stateof Kapurthala
* Kanwar Jasjit Singh , ruler of the
princely stateof Kapurthala
* Rajkumar Atamjit Singh, ruler of the
princely stateof Kapurthala
* Raja Padamjit Singh, ruler of the
princely stateof Kapurthala
* Nawab Mohammed Amin Khan of Loharu,
Governor HimachalPardesh, India.
Major SyedMubarak Ali Shah, of Shah Jeewna.
Colonel SyedAbid Hussain Shah, of Shah Jeewna.
* Raja Bhalendra Singh (Prince Peter), of
Maharaja Sir Yadvinder Singhof Patiala
* Chaudry Muhammad Aamir Sultan Cheema,
Minister of Irrigation
Sahibzada Mirza Aitizazuddin Ahmed Khan, Nawab of Loharu
* Capt. HH Nawab Mirza Aitizazuddin Ahmed Khan Bahadur 7th
* Ramesh Bhandari, Ex-Foreign Secretary India Currently,
Governorof Uttar Pardesh, India
Chaudhry Aitzaz Ahsan
Major General NawabSir Malik Umar Hayat Khan
Nawab Sir Malik Khizar Hayat Tiwana
Sultan Raja Rukan Zaman, Chief of Gakhar tribe.
Malik Amir Mohammad Khanof Kalabagh, Former GovernorWest Pakistan
Nawab Sadiq Hussain Qureshi Governorand Chief Minister of Punjab
Makhdoom Faisal Saleh HayatFormer Interior Minister of Pakistan, Minister for Kashmir Affairs.
Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Hussain QureshiMember of the National Assembly of Pakistanand President PPP Punjab
Balakh Sher Mazari, Chief of Mazaris, Former Prime Minister of Pakistan.
Sardar Sherbaz Mazari, a notable of the Mazaritribe, a veteran Politician.
Zulfiqar Ali Khosa,Chief of Khosa,a Baluch tribe in Punjab, Governor of Punjab.
Zulfikar Ali Magsi, Chief of Magsi, a Baluch tribe and
Syed Zulfiqar Bokhari, Senator.
* Major General(Rtd)
Khurshid Ali Khan, Governor N.W.F.P.
Taj Muhammad Khan Jamali, former Governor of Baluchistan.
Sardar Ataullah Khan Mengal, former Governor of Baluchistan.
Malik Feroz Khan Noon, former Prime Minister of Pakistan.
* Nawab Muhammad Abbas Abbasi, Amir of Bahawalpur, Former
Governor of Punjab.
Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti, Chief of Bugtis, Former Governorand Chief Ministerof Balochistan.
* Nawab Sadiq Hussain Qureshi,
Governorand Chief Minister of Punjab
Awais Leghari, current Federal Minister for IT and Telecom, Pakistan
Omar Ayub Khan, Minister of state for Finance, Pakistan
Syed Fakhar Imam, Speaker of National Assembly of Pakistan.
* Sardar Harcharan Singh Brar
Governorof Orissaand Chief Minister
Malik Amjad Ali Noonof Ali Pur Noon, High commissioner and first Nazim of Sargodha.
Asfandyar Wali Khan, third and current President of the Awami National Partyin Pakistan.
Qasim Zia, Current Opposition Leader Punjab Assembly
Syed Raza Ali GillaniMinister of Housing Punjab
Mian Muhammad Afzal Hayat Former Chief Minister And Current Politician
Chaudhary Hamid Nasir Chatha, Speaker Punjab Assembly And Several Ministerial Portfolios.
Sardar Hamid Yar Hiraj, Former Minister of State for Commerce and Trade and currently Member of the National Assembly.
Sardar Amed Yar Hiraj, District Nazim Khanewal for two consecutive terms.
Sardar Muhammad Yar Hiraj, Member Provincial Assembly and Deputy Leader of the Opposition in Punjab
* Chaudry Shujaat Hussain,former prime minister of Pakistan
* Majid Khan, Captain (1948-1958),
Oxford Blue, Pakistan cricket team
Rameez Raja, Captain, Pakistan cricket team
Javed Burki,Captain, Pakistan cricket team
Imran Khan, Captain, Oxford Blue, Pakistan Cricket Team
* Sayed Muhammad Jafar,
Sayed Jaffar (field hockey), Member of the All India Field Hockey Team, Gold Medalist Los Angeles Olympics 1932 and Berlin Olympics 1936. Jafar Memorial Hockey Pavillion in Aitchison College is named after him.
Hassan Sardar,Olympian Gold Medalist, Captain, Pakistan Hockey Team
Nawab Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi, Captain, Oxford Blue, Indian Cricketteam & Member, England Cricketteam, only cricketer ever to have played for two countries.
Mansoor Ali Khan, Oxford Blue, Nawab of Pataudi, Indian Cricket Team.
* Malik Ata Muhammad Khan, Equestrian.
* Shahzada Alam Monnoo, Founder Monoo Group of Industries
* Jahangir Alam Monnoo, Director Monoo Group of Industries
* Aamir Hussain Shirazi, President Atlas Group (Honda Pakistan)
* Malik Munawer Ali Noon,
Ali Pur Noon
* Osman Khalid Waheed. Ferozsons Pharmaceuticals
* Sheharyar Sarwar, Al-Hafiz Group.
* Ch Imran Ahmed, World Trade Inc, Health Aid Pharmacy
* Syed Babar Ali, owner of packages Pakistan
cience and technology
* Sohail Abbas Bhatti, CCIE, Researcher. CISCO San Jose, California
* Usman Mobin, Chief Technology Officer at the Government of Pakistan's
National Database and Registration Authority
* Asim Mughal,
* Dr. Umar Saif, Researcher.
MIT, LUMS, Cambridge-MIT Institute (CMI), Awarded the IEEE Percom'08 Mark Weiser Award and Microsoft Research Digital Inclusion Award
* Dr. Wasiq Bokhari, Ph.D
MIT, Researcher Fermilab, Top quark discovery. Technology entrepreneur.
* Zill-e-Rehman Khan Niazi, Qatar Telecom [http://www.qtel.com] , photographer, writer and contributor to National Geographic [http://www.flickr.com/photos/zillniazi/]
* Syed Altaf Hussain Shah, WAPDA, Pakistan
Imran Anwar, IMRAN.TV/EverTrac
* Omar Malik, Director, Carbon Services
* Waqar Ahmad Bajwa, CPA
* Asad Humayun,
HSBC- Global Banking & Markets, London, U.K
* Mamur Mustapha - CEO, Mediaverx LTD. (UK / Pakistan)
* Tufail Nadeem, Vice President, Bank of America, Charlotte
* Muhammed Mamoon Rashid Malek, Vice President, Bank of America
* Syed Javed Hamid, Senior Economist at World Bank.
* Jowdat Waheed, President Shritt International
* Zeshan Saleem Sultan , Arp Hansen Hotel Groups
* Salman Saleem Sultan, Cinemax Entertainment
* Syed Zaigham Jaffery, A2Z Endeavors
* Ali Zulfiqar Khan, A2Z Endeavors
* Iqbal Aziz ,Director,A2Z Limos 4U Uk Ltd
* Nauman A. Khawaja, Co-Founder/ CEO, Vibrant Solutions, U.S.A (www.vibrantsolutions.biz)
* Baba Madhsudan Singh Bedi (1932-1940), Sikh Spiritual leader.
* Basim Usmani - Lead singer
The Kominas, a Punjabi taqwacore punk band from the suburbs of Boston, MA
* M. Usman Khalid Kashmiri -
The Poor Souls of Pompeii, an alternative indie rock band from London, UK.
* F. S. Aijazuddin, "Aitchison College Lahore : 1886-1986 : the first hundred years," Lahore (1986)
* [http://www.aitchison.edu.pk/ Official website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Aitchison — is an English surname.People with the surname Aitchison* Craigie Mason Aitchison, Lord Aitchison (1882 ndash;1941), Scottish politician and judge ** His son Craigie Aitchison (painter) (born 1926), Scottish painter * James H. Aitchison, Canadian… … Wikipedia
Charles Umpherston Aitchison — Sir Charles Umpherston Aitchison Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab In office 3 April 1882 – 2 April 1887 Monarch Victoria I … Wikipedia
Divisional Model College — DMC Urdu: سچ میری طاقت English: Truth My Strength Location Faisalabad … Wikipedia
Chiefs’ College — war die Bezeichnung für Bildungsstätten für die Kinder indischer Fürsten während der Kolonialzeit, umgangssprachlich wurden sie auch Rajkumar College genannt. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Geschichte 1.1 Imperial Cadet Corps 2 Literatur … Deutsch Wikipedia
Divisional Public School & College Faisalabad — Location Faisalabad, Punjab, Pakistan Information Established 1963 Area … Wikipedia
Colvin Taluqdars' College — Motto Noblesse Oblige Established 1889 Type Public, Education … Wikipedia
W. J. Aitchison — Born December 5, 1941(1941 12 05) Nationality Canadian Occupation Army officer Colonel W. J. Joe Aitchison (born December 5, 1941) is a retired Canadian military officer. … Wikipedia
Dominic Aitchison — Aitchison performing with Mogwai at The Avalon on 6 March 2006 Background information Birth name Dominic Aitchison Born … Wikipedia
James H. Aitchison — James Hermiston Aitchison (b. 1908 in Innerleithen, Scotland d. 12 July 1994 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) was a Canadian academic and politician and leader of the Nova Scotia New Democratic Party.James was the son of James Charles Aitchison… … Wikipedia
Mark Aitchison Young — Sir Mark Aitchison Young 21st Governor of Hong Kong In office 10 September 1941 – 25 December 1941 Preceded by Sir Geoffrey Northcote … Wikipedia