- Life. Be in it.
Life. Be in it. is an
Australiangovernment program and advertisingcampaign encouraging people to be more active and participate in recreational sports or other physical activities.
The program began in 1975 with the Victorian state government, the brainchild of Brian Dixon, former
Australian rules footballer and then Minister for Youth, Sport and Recreation. In 1977 the federal government expanded the program nationally. Federal funding ended in the early 1980s, redirected towards elite programs. Life Be In It continued for a time working with other groups like the National Heart Foundation of Australia, before going into hibernation.
In 2000 the program was revived, with new government funding, as a strategy against
obesity. Australia's national adult obesity rate at that time was reckoned as second only to the USA.
The television advertisements for the program are cartoons featuring people doing a wide range of activities, with a catchy tune "Be in it today, live more of your life". The main character is Norm, a middle aged man with a prominent
beer belly, meant to represent a "normal" Australian bloke. The idea for Norm and the advertising came from Philip Adamsand Alex Stitt; Stitt drew all the cartoons.
The campaign was an enormous success in terms of recognition, by 1979 about 83% and by 1982 about 94%. Recognition remains high at 85%. 'Life. Be in it.' continues to be active throughout Australia and continues to involve Australian's in activities in every State and Territory. Programs include Life Games, Corporate Cup, Walking activities etc.
The original theme music for the campaign was created by Peter Best.
* [http://www.lifebeinit.org/?uri=history/index A brief history of Life. Be in it.] , at lifebeinit.org
* [http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/sportsf/stories/s123751.htm Active Australia?] , ABC Ratio National,
5 May 2000, transcript reproduced at lifebeinit.org
* [http://www.lifebeinit.org/index.php?uri=media/2000.11.07 Life. Be in it. Character Norm is to reappear] , Perth radio
6PRinterview, 7 November 2000, transcript reproduced at lifebeinit.org
* [http://www.lifebeinit.org/index.php?uri=media/2000.11.22 Life. Be in it. Silver Anniversary and Relaunch] ,
22 November 2000, at lifebeinit.org
* [http://www.lifebeinit.org Life. Be in it. – web site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.