- Alexey Pajitnov
Alexey Leonidovich Pajitnov ( _ru. Алексей Леонидович Пажитнов, regularly Aleksei Leonidovich Pazhitnov, born 1955) is a
computerengineer from Russianow living in the United States, who developed the popular game " Tetris" while working for the Computing Centre of the Soviet Academy of Sciences, a Soviet government-founded R&Dcentre.
Alexey Pajitnov created "Tetris" with the help of
Dmitry Pavlovskyand Vadim Gerasimovin 1985. The game, first available in the Soviet Union, appeared in the West in 1986.Pajitnov also created the lesser known sequel to "Tetris", entitled " Welltris", which has the same principle but in a three dimensional environment where you see the "board" from above [ [http://www.mds.mdh.se/~frv95pen/game/tetris/welltris/ Screenshots from Welltris, retrieved 31-10-2007] ] . The Soviet bureaucracylicensed and managed "Tetris", and advertised it with the slogan "From Russia with Love" (on NES: "From Russia With Fun!"). Because he was employed by the Soviet government, Pajitnov did not receive royalties. Pajitnov, together with Vladimir Pokhilko, moved to the United Statesin 1991 and founded the Tetris Companywith Henk Rogers.
He helped design the puzzles in the Super NES versions of "
Yoshi's Cookie" and designed the game "Pandora's Box", which incorporates more traditional jigsaw-style puzzles.
He began working for
Microsoftin October 1996. Pajitnov worked for the , MSN Mind Aerobicsand MSN Gamesgroups. Pajitnov's new, enhanced version of " Hexic", "Hexic HD", was included with every new Xbox 360Premium package. He left Microsoft in 2005.
On August 18, 2005
WildSnake Softwareannounced Pajitnov will be collaborating with them to release a new line of puzzle games. [ [http://www.wildsnake.com/newsletter/2005-08-18/ WildSnake newsletter august 18 2005, retrieved 31-10-2007] ]
Awards and recognition
On March 7, 2007, Alexey Pajitnov received the Game Developers Choice Awards First Penguin Award. The award was given for pioneering the casual games market. [cite web |url=http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12732 |title=2007 Game Developers Choice Awards To Honor Miyamoto, Pajitnov |publisher=
* Angela Gunn (December 9–15, 1999). " [http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/9949/tech-gunn2.shtml Game boy] ". "
* [http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,929/ "Alexey Pajitnov"] profile at
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/tetris.shtml "Tetris - From Russia with Love"] , BBC documentary (website).
* [http://www.gamezombie.tv/?page_id=51 Video Interview with Alexey Pajitnov at GameZombie.tv]
* [http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/26/1859249 Tetris Creator Claims "Free and Open Source Software" Destroys the Market.]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.