- ISO/IEC 10967
ISO/IEC 10967, "Language independent arithmetic" (LIA), is a series ofstandards on computer arithmetic. It is compatible with
IEC 60559(more known as IEEE 754or IEC 559), and indeed much of thespecifications in parts 2 and 3 are for IEEE 754 special values(though such values are not required).
LIA currently consists of three parts:
* Part 1: "Integer and floating point arithmetic", first edition published 1994.
* Part 2: "Elementary numerical functions", first edition published 2001.
* Part 3: "Complex integer and floating point arithmetic and complex elementary numerical functions", first edition is now (2005) in FDIS stage.
Part 1 deals with the basic integer and floating point datatypes, butunlike
IEEE 754not the representation of the values. Part 1 alsodeals with basic arithmetic, including comparisons, on values of suchdatatypes. The parameter "iec559" is expected to betrue for most implementations of LIA-1.
Part 1 may be revised to become more in line with the specificationsin parts 2 and 3.
Part 2 deals with some additional "basic" operations on integer and floating point datatype values, but focuses primarily on specfying requirements on numerical versions of
elementary functions. Much of the specifications in LIA-2 are inspired by the specificationsin Ada for elementary functions.
Part 3 generalises parts 1 and 2 to deal with imaginary and complexdatatypes and arithmetic and elementary functions on such values.Much of the specifications in LIA-3 are inspired by the specificationsfor imaginary and complex datatypes and operations in
C, Ada and
Each of the parts provide suggested bindings for a number ofprogramming languages. These are not part of the LIA standards,just suggestions, and are not complete. Authors of a programminglanguage standard may wish to alter the suggestions before anyincorporation in the programming language standard.
Currently (2005) the standards for C,
C++, and Modula-2have partial bindings to LIA-1.
* [http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c018939_ISO_IEC_10967-1_1994(E).zip ISO/IEC 10967-1:1994]
* [http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c024427_ISO_IEC_10967-2_2001(E).zip ISO/IEC 10967-2:2001]
* [http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c037994_ISO_IEC_10967-3_2006(E).zip ISO/IEC 10967-3:2006]
* [http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG11/docs/n364.pdf LIA-1 DIS] (not final text)
* [http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG11/docs/n462.pdf LIA-2 FCD] (not final text)
* [http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg11/docs/n490.pdf LIA-3 FCD] (not final text)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.