- ISO/IEC 14443
ISO/IEC 14443 defines a
proximity cardused for identificationthat usually uses the standard credit card form factordefined by ISO/IEC 7810 ID-1. Other form factors also are possible.
The standard was developed by the "Working Group 8" of "Subcommittee 17" in "ISO's/IEC's Joint Technical Committee 1". The Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) reader uses an embedded
microcontroller(including its own microprocessor and several types of memory) and a magnetic loopantenna that operates at 13.56 MHz (RFID frequency). More recent ICAOstandards for machine-readable travel documents specify a cryptographically signed file formatand authentication protocolfor storing biometricfeatures (photos of the face, fingerprints, and/or iris).
ISO/IEC 14443 consists of four parts and describes two types of cards: type A and type B. The main differences between these types concern modulation methods, coding schemes (Part 2) and protocol initialization procedures (Part 3). Both type A and type B cards use the same transmission protocol described in Part 4. The transmission protocol specifies data block exchange and related mechanisms:
#data block chaining
#waiting time extension
ISO/IEC 14443 uses following terms for components:; PCD: proximity coupling device (or reader); PICC: proximity integrated circuit card
Calypso (RFID)standard complies with ISO/IEC 14443 part 1, 2, 3 and 4 type B. MIFAREcards comply with ISO/IEC 14443 part 1, 2 and 3 type A. LEGICcards comply with ISO/IEC 14443 part 1, 2 and 3 type A. Biometric passportscomply with ISO/IEC 14443.
All RFID credit cards that have been publicly evaluated use ISO/IEC 14443 type B.fact|date = August 2008 This RFID Type is used in the
American ExpressBLUE credit cardline.
ISO 7816, classic "with contact" smart card standard
* [http://wg8.de/sd1.html Draft ISO/IEC 14443 standards]
* [http://www.eurosmart.com/Since eEurope study on RFID and ISO 14443]
* [http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2056.pdf The 14443B standard as application note]
* [http://www.CalypsoTechnology.net The Calypso ticketing standard]
* [http://www.waazaa.org/14443/ Final Committee Drafts in pdf form]
* [http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=28728 Official ISO site to purchase copies of standard]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.