- Nismes redirects here. The French municipality of which the name sounds alike, is Nîmes.
Coordinates: Country Belgium Region Wallonia Community French Community Province Namur Arrondissement Philippeville Government – Mayor Freddy Cabaraux (PS) – Governing party/ies PS, CDH Area – Total 120.90 km2 (46.7 sq mi) Population (1 January 2010) – Total 5,758 – Density 47.6/km2 (123.4/sq mi) Postal codes 5670 Area codes 060 Website www.viroinval.be
Viroinval (French pronunciation: [viʁwɛ̃val]) is a Walloon municipality located in Belgium in the province of Namur. On January 1, 2006 Viroinval had a total population of 5,680. The total area is 120.90 km² which gives a population density of 47 inhabitants per km².
Villages in Viroinval
The name Viroinval, Viroin (River) Valley, was chosen for the municipality that was formed by fusing eight villages, in 1977: Dourbes, Mazée, Le Mesnil, Nismes, Oignies-en-Thiérache, Olloy-sur-Viroin, Treignes, Vierves-sur-Viroin.
- From 1995 to 2004, Viroinval was the location of the geographical centre of the European Union, at coordinates Kleinmaischeid, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. On 1 January 2007 it shifted even further south-eastwards. in Oignies-en-Thiérache, and a monument there records that finding. On May 1, 2004 the EU expanded from fifteen states to twenty-five, and the geographical centre of the union moved eastwards to the village of
- The tourist steam train line Mariembourg - Treignes has most of its stations in villages of Viroinval: Nismes, Olloy-sur-Viroin, Vierves-sur-Viroin, and Treignes. The latter village has a relevant museum.
- Official Website of the municipality
- The former Centre of the European Union
- Awarded "EDEN - European Destinations of Excellence" non traditional tourist destination 2009
- ^ Population per municipality on 1 January 2010 (XLS; 221 KB)
- ^ "Viroinval" (in French). Viroinval municipality. http://www.viroinval.be/xml/page-IDC-24342-IDD-33307-LANG-en-.html. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- ^ "Trois Vallées – Chemin de fer touristique" (in French). Viroinval municipality. http://www.viroinval.be/xml/page-IDC-24342-IDD-33307-LANG-fr-.html. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- ^ "Musée du Chemin de Fer à Vapeur des Trois Vallées" (in French). Viroinval municipality. http://www.viroinval.be/xml/page-IDC-24342-IDD-33308-LANG-fr-.html. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
Municipalities in the Province of Namur Dinant Namur Philippeville
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.