- Daniel Poulter
Daniel Poulter Member of Parliament
for Central Suffolk and North Ipswich
Incumbent Assumed office
6 May 2010
Preceded by Michael Lord Majority 13,786 (25.8%) Personal details Born 30 October 1978 Nationality British Political party Conservative Alma mater University of Bristol
King's College London
Profession physician Website www.drdanielpoulter.com
Daniel Leonard James Poulter (born 30 October 1978) is a British Conservative Party politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Central Suffolk and North Ipswich.
Poulter is a physician who was educated at Bristol University (Law) and King's College London (Medicine). He sat as a local councillor in Hastings and Reigate and Banstead, where he became Deputy Leader of the Borough Council. Poulter specialised in obstetrics and gynaecology before entering the House of Commons.
In the 2010 election, Poulter received 27,125 votes, increasing the Conservative majority.
Poulter is a keen rugby player and cricketer, having played for Guy's Hospital and the Old Reigatians. Among his interests are the preservation of seaside piers and he also has a passion for the Mangalitza breed of pig.
During the parliamentary summer recess, Poulter went back to work at the James Paget Hospital in Gorleston, working in the Accident and Emergency department.
Poulter said: "It's good to be back looking after patients. I think it's very important that we do have doctors and other people with front line experience of public services involved in politics and I think it's important that we have politicians who have worked in the real world." Dr Poulter said the work at the hospital helped him as a constituency MP and that he would continue to work as a doctor after the summer break.
- ^ "Daniel Poulter MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/representatives/profiles/83524.stm. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- ^ http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whoswho/U251162/
- ^ http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/59418/notices/1118281/from=2010-05-06;to=2010-05-19;all=returned+westminster/
- ^ Candidates profiles, UK Polling report, accessed 8 May 2010
- ^ 2010 General Election result, BBC News 7 May 2010
- Daniel Poulter MP official constituency profile
- Daniel Poulter MP Conservative Party profile
- Central Suffolk and North Ipswich Conservatives
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
Parliament of the United Kingdom Preceded by
Central Suffolk and North Ipswich
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.