- Community of St Michael and All Angels
The Community of St Michael and All Angels is an Anglican religious order of nuns in South Africa. The Community was founded by the Rt Revd Alan Becher Webb, the second Bishop of Bloemfontein in 1874 – although the idea was first mooted by Becher’s predecessor, Bishop Edward Twells. In a letter he’d written in 1868, Twells highlighted the need for a Sisterhood to set up schools for girls in Bloemfontein.
Three novices and three lay helpers under a Superior, Mother Emma, traveled from England to Bloemfontein via Port Elizabeth, arriving towards the end of April 1874. They immediately opened a boarding school, St Michael's, and a day school. St Michael’s School exists to this day as one of the leading schools in South Africa.
The Community’s work was extended to the nearby mining town of Kimberley, from 1876, where Sister Henrietta Stockdale pioneered the training of nurses at the Carnarvon Hospital. She was later influential in securing the first state registration of nurses in the world, in 1891.
A St Michael’s School was established in Kimberley but did not survive beyond the first years of the twentieth century.
The Community still exists but only one sister remains today.
Prominent members of the CSM & AA
- Sister Henrietta Stockdale - the founder of professional nursing in South Africa. The Anglican Church of Southern Africa commemorates Sister Henrietta annually on 6 October, the anniversary of her death - the Synod of Bishops having placed her on the church’s Calendar.
- Sister Mary Hirst Watkins - qualified in nursing and midwifery under Sister Henrietta and is acknowledged as the founder of modern midwifery training in South Africa.  Watkins established a school for midwives in Kimberley in 1893. Achieving renown, an appointment in England was offered – but the invitation letter reached Kimberley on the day that she died.  Sister Mary Hirst Watkins is re-interred alongside Sister Henrietta in the grounds of St Cyprian's Cathedral, Kimberley.
- ^ Karel Schoeman, 1986. The Free State Mission: The Anglican Church in the OFS, 1863-1883, pages 18-19.
- ^ Karel Schoeman, 1986. The Free State Mission: The Anglican Church in the OFS, 1863-1883, page 42-53.
- ^ Karel Schoeman, 1986. The Free State Mission: The Anglican Church in the OFS, 1863-1883, page 54.
- ^ A. Younge, C. F. Van Niekerk, S. Mogotlane. 2004, Juta's Manual of Nursing, page 7
- ^ Mothers, midwifery, births, babies
- ^ A Cathedral Pilgrimage. St Cyprian’s Cathedral, Kimberley, p 23
Active religious orders and communities of the Anglican CommunionBrotherhood of the Ascended Christ • Brotherhood of the Epiphany • Brotherhood of St. Gregory • Chama Cha Mariamu Mtakatifu • Chita che Zita Rinoyera • Chita che Zvipo Zve Moto • Christa Sevika Sangha • Community of All Hallows • Community of Christ the King • Community of Jesus' Compassion • Community of Nazareth • Community of Our Lady & Saint John • Community of St. Andrew • Community of St. Clare • Community of St. Denys • Community of St. Francis • Community of St. John Baptist • Community of St. John the Divine • Community of St. John the Evangelist • Community of St. Laurence • Community of St. Mary • Community of St. Mary at the Cross • Community of St. Mary the Virgin • Community of St. Michael & All Angels • Community of St. Paul • Community of St. Peter • Community of the Blessed Lady Mary • Community of the Companions of Jesus the Good Shepherd • Community of the Divine Compassion • Community of the Glorious Ascension • Community of the Good Shepherd • Community of the Holy Cross • Community of the Holy Family • Community of the Holy Spirit • Community of the Holy Transfiguration • Community of the Reparation to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament • Community of the Resurrection • Community of the Sacred Name • Community of the Sacred Passion • Community of the Servants of the Cross • Community of the Servants of the Will of God • Community of the Sisters of Melanesia • Community of the Sisters of the Church • Community of the Sisters of the Love of God • Community of the Transfiguration • Company of Mission Priests • Congregation of the Sisters of the Visitation of our Lady • Daughters of St. Francis • Ewell Monastery • Fikambanan'ny Mpanompovavin l Jesoa Kristy • Korean Franciscan Brotherhood • Little Brothers of Francis • Melanesian Brotherhood • Oratory of the Good Shepherd • Order of Julian of Norwich • Order of St. Anne • Order of St. Anne at Bethany Convent • Order of St. Benedict • Order of St. Helena • Order of the Holy Cross • Order of the Holy Paraclete • Order of the Teachers of the Children of God • Sisterhood of St. John the Divine • Sisterhood of St. Mary, Bangladesh • Sisterhood of the Epiphany • Sisterhood of the Holy Nativity • Sisters of Charity • Sisters of the Good Shepherd • Sisters of the Incarnation • Society of All Saints Sisters of the Poor • Society of Our Lady of the Isles • Society of Our Lady St. Mary • Society of St. Francis • Society of St. John the Divine • Society of St. John the Evangelist • Society of St. Margaret • Society of St. Paul • Society of the Franciscan Servants of Jesus & Mary • Society of the Holy Cross • Society of the Holy Trinity • Society of the Precious Blood • Society of the Sacred Advent • Society of the Sacred Cross • Society of the Sacred Mission • Society of the Sisters of Bethany
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.