- Antipodes Snipe
Antipodes Snipe Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Charadriiformes Family: Scolopacidae Genus: Coenocorypha Species: C. aucklandica Subspecies: C. a. meinertzhagenae Trinomial name Coenocorypha aucklandica meinertzhagenae
- Gallinago tristrami
- Coenocorypha meinertzhagenae
The Antipodes Snipe or Antipodes Island Snipe (Coenocorypha aucklandica meinertzhagenae) is an isolated subspecies of the Subantarctic Snipe that is endemic to the Antipodes Islands, a subantarctic island group south of New Zealand in the Southern Ocean.
Taxonomy and etymology
The Antipodes Snipe was first collected by Fairchild in 1887, and by Andreas Reischek in 1888. It was first described by Walter Rothschild in 1893 as Gallinago tristrami in honour of Henry Baker Tristram. However, doubts were raised about the provenance of the type specimen, which appeared to be from the Auckland Islands, and Rothschild made a new description in 1927, recognising the Antipodes Island form as a subspecies of Coenocorypha aucklandica. The subspecific name honours British ornithologist Annie Meinertzhagen, the second wife of ornithologist Richard Meinertzhagen.
Distribution and habitat
The snipe is endemic to the Antipodes group, which has a total surface area of 22 km2. It has been recorded not only from the main Antipodes Island, but also from the much smaller Bollons, Archway and Inner Windward Islands. It inhabits the islands’ tussock grasslands and herbfields, nesting under tussocks and Polystichum vestitum shield ferns.
Status and conservation
- Hartert, Ernst (1927). "Types of birds in the Tring Museum". Novitates Zoologicae 34: 1–38.
- Higgins, P.J.; & Davies, S.J.J.F. (eds). (1996). Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds. Volume 3:Snipe to Pigeons. Melbourne: Oxford University Press. pp. 54–66. ISBN 0-19-553070-5.
- Melville, David S.; & Battley, Phil F. (2006). "Shorebirds in New Zealand". The Stilt 50: 269–277. http://www.nzshorebirds.com/downloads/melvillebattley2006.pdf.
- Miskelly, Colin M.; Bell, Elizabeth A.; Elliott, Graeme P.; & Walker, Kath J. (2006). "'Hakawai' aerial displaying by three populations of subantarctic snipe (genus Coenocorypha).". Notornis 53 (4): 375–381. http://www.notornis.org.nz/abstract.php?volume_issue=n53_4&first_page=375.
- Miskelly, Colin M.; Dowding, John E.; Elliott, Graeme P.; Hitchmough, Rodney A.; Powlesland, Ralph G.; Robertson, Hugh A.; Sagar, Paul M.; Scofield, R. Paul; & Taylor, Graeme A. (2008). "Conservation status of New Zealand birds, 2008". Notornis 55: 117–135. http://www.conservation.gen.nz/upload/64697/bird-conservation-status-2008.pdf.
- Oliver, W.R.B. (1955). New Zealand Birds. Wellington: Reed. pp. 278. ISBN 0-589-00851-X.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.