- installment in*stall"ment, instalment in*stal"ment, n.
1. The act of installing; installation.
2. The seat in which one is placed. [Obs.] [1913 Webster]
3. A portion of a debt, or sum of money, which is divided into portions that are made payable at different times; that portion of a debt payed back in any one payment; as, the next installment is due January first. Payment by installment is payment by parts at different times, the amounts and times being often definitely stipulated. --Bouvier. [1913 Webster +PJC]
4. a part of a broadcast serial. [WordNet sense 1]
Syn: episode. [WordNet 1.5]
5. a part of a published serial. [WordNet sense 2] [WordNet 1.5]
The Collaborative International Dictionary of English. 2000.