Goggle Gog"gle, n. [See {Goggle}, v. i.] [1913 Webster] 1. A strained or affected rolling of the eye. [1913 Webster]

2. pl. (a) A kind of spectacles with short, projecting eye tubes, in the front end of which are fixed plain glasses for protecting the eyes from cold, dust, etc. (b) Colored glasses for relief from intense light. (c) A disk with a small aperture, to direct the sight forward, and cure squinting. (d) Any screen or cover for the eyes, with or without a slit for seeing through. [1913 Webster]

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English. 2000.


Look at other dictionaries:

  • Goggle — Gog gle, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Goggled}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Goggling}.] [Cf. Ir. & Gael. gog a nod, slight motion.] To roll the eyes; to stare. [1913 Webster] And wink and goggle like an owl. Hudibras. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Goggle — Gog gle, a. Full and rolling, or staring; said of the eyes. [1913 Webster] The long, sallow vissage, the goggle eyes. Sir W. Scott. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • goggle — (v.) 1530s, from M.E. gogelen to roll (the eyes) about (late 14c.), influenced by M.E. gogel eyed squint eyed, one eyed (late 14c.), of uncertain origin, perhaps somehow imitative. As a surname (Robert le Gogel) attested from c.1300. Related:… …   Etymology dictionary

  • goggle — ► VERB 1) look with wide open eyes. 2) (of the eyes) protrude or open wide. ► NOUN (goggles) ▪ close fitting protective glasses with side shields. ORIGIN probably symbolic of oscillating movement …   English terms dictionary

  • goggle — [gäg′əl] vi. goggled, goggling [ME gogelen, to look obliquely, freq. formation prob. < Celt base, as in Ir gog, a nod, Welsh gogi, to shake] 1. a) to stare with bulging or wide open eyes b) to roll the eyes 2. a) to bulge o …   English World dictionary

  • goggle — v., adj., & n. v. 1 intr. a (often foll. by at) look with wide open eyes. b (of the eyes) be rolled about; protrude. 2 tr. turn (the eyes) sideways or from side to side. adj. (usu. attrib.) (of the eyes) protuberant or rolling. n. 1 (in pl.) a… …   Useful english dictionary

  • goggle — v. (D; intr.) to goggle at * * * [ gɒg(ə)l] (D; intr.) to goggle at …   Combinatory dictionary

  • goggle — UK [ˈɡɒɡ(ə)l] / US [ˈɡɑɡ(ə)l] verb [intransitive] Word forms goggle : present tense I/you/we/they goggle he/she/it goggles present participle goggling past tense goggled past participle goggled informal to look at someone or something in a way… …   English dictionary

  • goggle — I. intransitive verb (goggled; goggling) Etymology: Middle English gogelen to squint Date: 1742 to stare with wide or protuberant eyes • goggler noun II. adjective Date: 1540 protuberant, staring < …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • goggle — gog|gle [ˈgɔgəl US ˈga: ] v [i]old fashioned [Date: 1300 1400; Origin: Perhaps from an unrecorded gog to move up and down ] to look at something with your eyes wide open in surprise or shock = ↑gape goggle at ▪ They were goggling at us as if we… …   Dictionary of contemporary English

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”