Goggle Gog"gle, a. Full and rolling, or staring; -- said of the eyes. [1913 Webster]

The long, sallow vissage, the goggle eyes. --Sir W. Scott. [1913 Webster]

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English. 2000.


Look at other dictionaries:

  • Goggle — Gog gle, v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Goggled}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Goggling}.] [Cf. Ir. & Gael. gog a nod, slight motion.] To roll the eyes; to stare. [1913 Webster] And wink and goggle like an owl. Hudibras. [1913 Webster] …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • Goggle — Gog gle, n. [See {Goggle}, v. i.] [1913 Webster] 1. A strained or affected rolling of the eye. [1913 Webster] 2. pl. (a) A kind of spectacles with short, projecting eye tubes, in the front end of which are fixed plain glasses for protecting the… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • goggle — (v.) 1530s, from M.E. gogelen to roll (the eyes) about (late 14c.), influenced by M.E. gogel eyed squint eyed, one eyed (late 14c.), of uncertain origin, perhaps somehow imitative. As a surname (Robert le Gogel) attested from c.1300. Related:… …   Etymology dictionary

  • goggle — ► VERB 1) look with wide open eyes. 2) (of the eyes) protrude or open wide. ► NOUN (goggles) ▪ close fitting protective glasses with side shields. ORIGIN probably symbolic of oscillating movement …   English terms dictionary

  • goggle — [gäg′əl] vi. goggled, goggling [ME gogelen, to look obliquely, freq. formation prob. < Celt base, as in Ir gog, a nod, Welsh gogi, to shake] 1. a) to stare with bulging or wide open eyes b) to roll the eyes 2. a) to bulge o …   English World dictionary

  • goggle — v., adj., & n. v. 1 intr. a (often foll. by at) look with wide open eyes. b (of the eyes) be rolled about; protrude. 2 tr. turn (the eyes) sideways or from side to side. adj. (usu. attrib.) (of the eyes) protuberant or rolling. n. 1 (in pl.) a… …   Useful english dictionary

  • goggle — v. (D; intr.) to goggle at * * * [ gɒg(ə)l] (D; intr.) to goggle at …   Combinatory dictionary

  • goggle — UK [ˈɡɒɡ(ə)l] / US [ˈɡɑɡ(ə)l] verb [intransitive] Word forms goggle : present tense I/you/we/they goggle he/she/it goggles present participle goggling past tense goggled past participle goggled informal to look at someone or something in a way… …   English dictionary

  • goggle — I. intransitive verb (goggled; goggling) Etymology: Middle English gogelen to squint Date: 1742 to stare with wide or protuberant eyes • goggler noun II. adjective Date: 1540 protuberant, staring < …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • goggle — gog|gle [ˈgɔgəl US ˈga: ] v [i]old fashioned [Date: 1300 1400; Origin: Perhaps from an unrecorded gog to move up and down ] to look at something with your eyes wide open in surprise or shock = ↑gape goggle at ▪ They were goggling at us as if we… …   Dictionary of contemporary English

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”